Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer table restoration  (Read 4349 times)

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
Performer table restoration
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
The table is fine just a little faded my question is is it worth it? Or should I replace it with an upgrade? I know it's personal preference. I know originality also is a big part for me. I know my next project will be this particular old performer just trying to figure out what I want to do with it. What would you do?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ryan  Andrew Moore

Cellar2ful

Re: Performer table restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
If you follow this restoration guide, your faded table will look and perform as brand new.  It comes down to whether you like the look of the new, black metal ones or the grey resin table.  Keep in mind that the metal tables are painted.  They can and will be subject to scratches.  Scratches in the resin tables can easily be sanded out.  Not so much on the metal tables. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »
I have never had a scratch or ding on my metal tables. I have had gouges and cracks on the plastic tables. I will admit I got one performer on clearance at the depot and 2 of the bolts weren't tight on the table and it got some rust on the table and in the frame! It cleaned up well.

I have yet to replace a good no cracked plastic table with the metal, they clean up well and do a great job. I do prefer the look and durability of the metals ones.

Side note if you have magic eraser cleaning sponges use one across the whole table rinse and repeat with a 2nd eraser sponges rinse again and you are good. I have had really good luck with this option. Quick easy and cheap
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 06:08:50 AM »
Grill giant has made to order replacements for 125-150 depending on wood species. I want one really bad

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »
I was thinking wood maybe, idk yet. I will probly take off the table and sand it down , the metal are nice. I'd love a stainless version.
I have never had a scratch or ding on my metal tables. I have had gouges and cracks on the plastic tables. I will admit I got one performer on clearance at the depot and 2 of the bolts weren't tight on the table and it got some rust on the table and in the frame! It cleaned up well.

I have yet to replace a good no cracked plastic table with the metal, they clean up well and do a great job. I do prefer the look and durability of the metals ones.

Side note if you have magic eraser cleaning sponges use one across the whole table rinse and repeat with a 2nd eraser sponges rinse again and you are good. I have had really good luck with this option. Quick easy and cheap

Ryan  Andrew Moore

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 06:16:32 AM »
That will be the road I take. I want to get the whole wood performer set from GrillHandle. Wheel inserts , rollers handle etc.
Grill giant has made to order replacements for 125-150 depending on wood species. I want one really bad

Ryan  Andrew Moore

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:09 AM »
If you are in a well populated area I would just keep my eye out for a current gen cart with a metal table.  Buy it for $100ish and use the parts or swap them out and sell the  unwanted cart. 

I prefer the metal tables myself. Swap put the hardware for stainless and cover it up if it is left outside.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
@wildeagle Welcome to the St Lou Crew. Lets se e a pic of that Performer. I have rebuilt a few. A bunch of grate guys here. What part of the Lou do you hale from?
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 09:52:56 AM »
If you are in a well populated area I would just keep my eye out for a current gen cart with a metal table.  Buy it for $100ish and use the parts or swap them out and sell the  unwanted cart. 

I prefer the metal tables myself. Swap put the hardware for stainless and cover it up if it is left outside.

Was sitting on a sidewalk at a resale shop on North 18th Street North City, I think I paid $40.

Ryan  Andrew Moore

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
I live in Fenton.
@wildeagle Welcome to the St Lou Crew. Lets se e a pic of that Performer. I have rebuilt a few. A bunch of grate guys here. What part of the Lou do you hale from?

Ryan  Andrew Moore

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »

Yeah, I recommend the wood idea.
I might be slightly biased, but you can custom make it the way you want.
I made this 3+ years ago using black walnut and the extra space is awesome!

greenwood.jpg" border="0
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
Wow!  What year is that. Everyone's grills are so beautiful  on here.

Yeah, I recommend the wood idea.
I might be slightly biased, but you can custom make it the way you want.
I made this 3+ years ago using black walnut and the extra space is awesome!

greenwood.jpg" border="0

Ryan  Andrew Moore

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 01:30:10 PM »

Was sitting on a sidewalk at a resale shop on North 18th Street North City, I think I paid $40.

I believe you have a platinum cart there instead of a performer. That means the metal table is a no go anyway. The bolt locations are different on the platinum vs their performers table tops.
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
That black walnut table is amazing!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
That's a work of art.  Love it!