Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shipping Horror Stories  (Read 2654 times)

Cellar2ful

Shipping Horror Stories
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:36:10 PM »
I have two stories to share. 

#1 - Earlier this year, I purchased a kettle that had to be shipped to me. This wasn't just any kettle, it was a Weber Custom Kettle (aka-Meat Cut Grill). Delivery day arrives and half way  through the day I receive an email from the shipping company that the package has been delivered.  Open the front door and no box.  I first check the neighbors on both sides of me and then start to panic.  Texting with the member I bought it from, he recommends checking residences on my street that have my numbers but in different order.  After a quick drive through the neighborhood, I find the box at a residence about one block away.  The numbers of the address were 4321 where as my address is 4231. 

#2 - Last week I purchased a vintage 1968 Weber catalog on an eBay auction. Last Tuesday (12/3),the seller messages me that he is sending it via the US Postal Service and the package should be delivered on Thursday (12/5). This all sounds about right as the seller lives about 50 minutes from where I live.  Thursday arrives and no delivery.  I check the tracking number and it shows the package has shipped but no update as to where it is.  On Friday, still no package delivered.  Saturday morning eBay tracking information shows my package has arrived in North Carolina.  As of right now,  the tracking information indicates my package is onto the "next facility", where ever the hell that is.  I can only hope that the catalog is on it's way back to California.  I will post an update if and when it all ends.  I hope it turns out as well as story #1 did.

Share your shipping horror stories.  I can't have the only one(s).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:41:10 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Shipping Horror Stories
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »
OMG, I can’t wait to see what kid of crazy stories this thread will fill up with!!!  I’ve had a few “lovely” shipping experiences relating to kettles, but this has to be my best. 

Was super excited to snag a yellow 18” HC kettle in an eBay auction.  Gave seller some pointers on packing a kettle, and asked them to contact me before they packaged/shipped it.  Heard nothing...just got the “item shipped” notification.  Checked daily for updates.  Unfortunately, the package was shipped to the wrong USPS hub, delaying the expected date considerably.  After what seemed like forever, I finally got the “delivered” notification.  I work long hours, so I excitedly called my wife to confirm arrival, and make sure it was brought inside.  Her long pause concerned me.  She finally told me...it looks bad!!!  My heart sank, and I still had hours to go before I got home.  This is what I came home to:

I was so F’ing pissed at USPS for likely F’ing my HC up.  However, I put the blame on the wrong party. The seller decided that no packing materials were needed, and this was their idea of an appropriate box:

Needless to say, there were a few issues.  I composed myself enough to send an email insulting his common sense in the most professional way.  Seller refunded a major amount of my money, and I was able to get ‘er back into shape:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

Re: Shipping Horror Stories
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:50:50 AM »

After posting this topic last night, I remembered the lost shipment to Australia story.  Took me a bit to find it this morning but it needed to be included in this thread.  If you haven't read or heard this story, it is worth reading.  It is a four page thread but does have a happy ending.   @Golly  @dazzo   @harris92

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=31593.0

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »
A fellow WKC member here in The Netherlands bought a beautiful grill... that WAS in perfect condition...
When I ship things I pack it for Street Hockey shipping company delivery [emoji403]
Here ... Zero Fucks were given when packing it up. 🤬
He contacted the seller.. they only said.. You wanted it shipped, that’s what you get.
Try not to laugh or cry [emoji22] when you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 08:43:24 AM »
So far I have no horror stories. I always ask the members I ship kettles to to send me an update that the package made it safely. I try to take good care and pack them well but I always fear the worst when shipping.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
So far I have no horror stories. I always ask the members I ship kettles to to send me an update that the package made it safely. I try to take good care and pack them well but I always fear the worst when shipping.

I’m assuming that the between member horror shipments, won’t be due to packaging, but courier issues.  No matter how well you pack it, you still can’t help but worry though.  I recently sent a Cado to Austria for @Bertl ‘s friend.  The delivering courier representative decided to mark it “Return to Sender” after only one attempt...which was before his business had even opened.  There was absolutely nothing any of us could do to keep it from coming back.  So, the Cado took three trips over the pond in the span of 5 1/2 months.  Thankfully it arrived unscathed!!!

Speaking of package arrivals...I see the stork brought you a new baby girl.  Congrats!!!

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
I purchased an offset speckled SJ with the tripod legs this summer.  I got it cheap and didn't want to alert the seller that they had something valuable.  I go to grab it from the UPS guy and one corner is caved in.  The grill had the legs removed buy it just a few pieces of newspaper in it to keep kit clanging around too much.  I was panicked and the guy is like "I hope it isn't too fragile or valuable."  Worst was that even if it had insurance at best it as $50.  The seller packed it like it was worth less than  that.

Fortunately my story was still a happy one because no real damage was done as far as I could tell.  Cleaned up nicely and only has a few chips here and there from use over the years.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Shipping Horror Stories
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
I was expecting my Euro bone MT1 from @Bertl at any time. Tracking read that it finally arrived and was in my city. When I got home from work there was a message in my mail box from USPS saying my package has arrived but was undeliverable.
I race into town and wait in line for what seemed like an hour. Finally my turn. Tell  teller my name and she went in back to retrieve my parcel.
When she came around the corner with my box , I was shocked and yelled,  “Oh No!”  I think she  was thinking I wasn’t expecting that big of a box. That wasn’t what I was worried about. The boxed looked like shit.  Squashed down and beat up.
I drove home and immediately started looking at the box.  There was no way in hell  that bowl or lid wasn’t damaged I thought.  I’ve shipped grills and normally the height is over 15” tall . One side of this box looked about 12” tall.
Opening it I was expecting the worst.  The bowl was packaged sockets up and looked fine.  The lid was also unscathed.  Man I was lucky. 
I am sure customs, either in Austria or USA, tore that box apart looking for something.  Didn’t find anything, threw all the stuff back in the box with no regard and sent it on it’s way. 
Thank god everything worked out.  It shows you can pack everything just right, but shippers can really abuse the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:38:31 PM by bladz »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:37 PM »

I’m assuming that the between member horror shipments, won’t be due to packaging, but courier issues.  No matter how well you pack it, you still can’t help but worry though.  I recently sent a Cado to Austria for @Bertl ‘s friend.  The delivering courier representative decided to mark it “Return to Sender” after only one attempt...which was before his business had even opened.  There was absolutely nothing any of us could do to keep it from coming back.  So, the Cado took three trips over the pond in the span of 5 1/2 months.  Thankfully it arrived unscathed!!!

Speaking of package arrivals...I see the stork brought you a new baby girl.  Congrats!!!

Thanks brother, she’s a doll baby.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »

Last week I purchased a vintage 1968 Weber catalog on an eBay auction. Last Tuesday (12/3),the seller messages me that he is sending it via the US Postal Service and the package should be delivered on Thursday (12/5). This all sounds about right as the seller lives about 50 minutes from where I live.  Thursday arrives and no delivery.  I check the tracking number and it shows the package has shipped but no update as to where it is.  On Friday, still no package delivered.  Saturday morning eBay tracking information shows my package has arrived in North Carolina.  As of right now,  the tracking information indicates my package is onto the "next facility", where ever the hell that is.  I can only hope that the catalog is on it's way back to California.  I will post an update if and when it all ends.  I hope it turns out as well as story #1 did.

UPDATE:  The USPS updated my package's location from "In Transit" to @ San Francisco Ca. Network Distribution Center.  I still have hope the package may make to my house by Christmas. 
               Question is in what shape?

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »
I have two stories to share. 

#1 - Earlier this year, I purchased a kettle that had to be shipped to me. This wasn't just any kettle, it was a Weber Custom Kettle (aka-Meat Cut Grill). Delivery day arrives and half way  through the day I receive an email from the shipping company that the package has been delivered.  Open the front door and no box.  I first check the neighbors on both sides of me and then start to panic.  Texting with the member I bought it from, he recommends checking residences on my street that have my numbers but in different order.  After a quick drive through the neighborhood, I find the box at a residence about one block away.  The numbers of the address were 4321 where as my address is 4231. 

#2 - Last week I purchased a vintage 1968 Weber catalog on an eBay auction. Last Tuesday (12/3),the seller messages me that he is sending it via the US Postal Service and the package should be delivered on Thursday (12/5). This all sounds about right as the seller lives about 50 minutes from where I live.  Thursday arrives and no delivery.  I check the tracking number and it shows the package has shipped but no update as to where it is.  On Friday, still no package delivered.  Saturday morning eBay tracking information shows my package has arrived in North Carolina.  As of right now,  the tracking information indicates my package is onto the "next facility", where ever the hell that is.  I can only hope that the catalog is on it's way back to California.  I will post an update if and when it all ends.  I hope it turns out as well as story #1 did.

Share your shipping horror stories.  I can't have the only one(s).
Man that was a scary, stressful situation lol [emoji23] Glad we figured it out on the Sweet Meat [emoji3052] Cuts

Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »

After a 14 day, 5500 mile side trip from San Jose to North Carolina back to Castro Valley, my original 68 Weber catalog arrived last night.  The USPS delivery should have taken 2 days as it is only 35 miles from San Jose to Castro Valley. Oh well, it arrived in fantastic shape due to the extra safety packaging taken by the eBay seller.  Communicating with the seller last night, come to find out he is Chris Allingham, who I believe is the founder of the TVWBB (The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board).  Small world.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
Glad you got her in your hands safely Jim! Awesome piece of kettle history

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
So doea it have an order form? Put me down for 1 of everything! Lol

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 03:04:31 AM »
I won this auction last year with some help from @chiku18 good price and seller agreed to ship, only problem was that he wasn't going to disassemble and I was paying shipping charges from out west. The grill arrived unharmed thankfully but the horror occurred in my wallet from UPS for packing and shipping and oversize box OUCH, LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill