Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not really a mod but... attaching lid bail to 22" kettle  (Read 2165 times)

NurseWizzle

• Smokey Joe
Not really a mod but... attaching lid bail to 22" kettle
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
What would you use to attach the lid bail to the kettle? I'm not at home so I can't look at it right now but noticed it was busted off. It looks intact so I'm guessing the hardware inside is messed up.
black Weber 26" with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, black Weber 22" MT with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, copper Weber 22" Premium
black GMG Jim Bowie Prime Plus
pink Humphrey's Battle Box

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Not really a mod but... attaching lid bail to 22" kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Lets see a photo of the damage.  It might just be something as simple as getting a few washers and nuts.  If you are already working on the lid bail it might be a good time to switch to stainless nuts, washers, and bolts anyways.  Worst case scenario would be getting a new lid bail kit. 

If this is on an older performer (I remember you saying you grabbed one) it might be the old style lid bail that does not put the lid straight up at a 90 degree angle.  So changing to the new style that does put the lid up at 90 degrees and gives you more access wouldn't be the end of the world.  I picked up one of the new lid bail kits for a performer for like $30ish bucks a few weeks back. 

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

NurseWizzle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
Lets see a photo of the damage.  It might just be something as simple as getting a few washers and nuts.  If you are already working on the lid bail it might be a good time to switch to stainless nuts, washers, and bolts anyways.  Worst case scenario would be getting a new lid bail kit. 

If this is on an older performer (I remember you saying you grabbed one) it might be the old style lid bail that does not put the lid straight up at a 90 degree angle.  So changing to the new style that does put the lid up at 90 degrees and gives you more access wouldn't be the end of the world.  I picked up one of the new lid bail kits for a performer for like $30ish bucks a few weeks back.

I'll have to check which it is. I was thinking whatever I did I'd replace all the hardware at the same time.
black Weber 26" with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, black Weber 22" MT with Cajun Bandit rotisserie, copper Weber 22" Premium

NurseWizzle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/3UaNAHX

Right now its missing the bolt? I dunno, there is nothing there.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »
It is probably missing some a nuts and washers.  Just clean off the ones on the other side and take it to a hardware store to find the equivalent.  I would probably just buy a batch of them in that size as Weber tends to use similar nuts and washers on a lot of their products. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
1/4 20 Stainless nut and 1/4 washer.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,