Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is my 26er too big?  (Read 2066 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Is my 26er too big?
« on: November 30, 2019, 05:02:02 PM »
I usually sous vide steaks and sear them on the charcoal chimney, but today I reverse seared them on the 26er and I thought to myself that it might be overkill. What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Is my 26er too big?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
No such thing.  Go big or go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 05:57:40 PM »
No, but if it makes adding a Smokey Joe to your collection then yes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 06:39:33 AM »
Not too big at all. Just missing the potatoes! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
Nope. I like it. What do you think of reverse sear steaks opposed to sous vide?  I borrowed my brothers sous vide once and finished over charcoal. Came out perfect but I honestly didn’t notice any appreciable improvement in flavor or texture. Or is it more of a convenience and accuracy thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Is my 26er too big?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »
I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and say yes, for those 2 steaks it’s too big IMO.

Maybe look into adding a Jumbo Joe or CGA if you find yourself with that much empty space on the 26 very often.

ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
I agree with Kevin. A CGA will save you a lot of fuel and startup time. I find using a larger kettle just to use it takes more time and fuel for a small cook.

I recently got a Weber Q gasser for quick cooks or smaller cooks.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
I have a 26er and found myself doing the same thing....i grabbed a CGA and recently added a Jumbo Joe and i rotate both for small fast cooks...both heat up fast and sear really well with alot less fuel...grab a used one cheap on FB or Craigslist

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and say yes, for those 2 steaks it’s too big IMO.

Maybe look into adding a Jumbo Joe or CGA if you find yourself with that much empty space on the 26 very often.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »
I just like standing around a 26er and cooking it's Manly !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »

I just like standing around a 26er and cooking it's Manly !!

Agreed.

I have plenty options including an 18” kettle but I do love cooking on the 26er, and like I said, I usually sear them over the chimney (set up in the 26er) but I forgot to set up my sous vide rig so that was not going to work.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 08:43:52 AM »

Nope. I like it. What do you think of reverse sear steaks opposed to sous vide?  I borrowed my brothers sous vide once and finished over charcoal. Came out perfect but I honestly didn’t notice any appreciable improvement in flavor or texture. Or is it more of a convenience and accuracy thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my steaks sous vide, they’re definitely more tender and juicy. I have no problem reverse searing in a pinch, but given a choice I’ll sous vide 10/10 times. If you didn’t notice a difference then I think you need more sous vide steak, for educational purposes of course ;)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

I agree with Kevin. A CGA will save you a lot of fuel and startup time. I find using a larger kettle just to use it takes more time and fuel for a small cook.

I recently got a Weber Q gasser for quick cooks or smaller cooks.

I’d still use a full chimney of lump anyway. I like my steak seared over that raging after burner.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »
A full chimney won’t fit in a CGA. With the little amount of fuel they use they are killer searing stations. I highly recommend you look for a used one for cheap and try it out. Awesome cookers.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 07:04:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/lraM7C4ZMr4

The CGA is bigger and far more capable than most think... with an offset plate and riser with roti you can take go anywhere cooking to a new level.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 05:00:31 AM »
I had a CGA but I gifted it to my best friend. Made some killer reverse seared sirloin steaks on it.