Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What size turkey on a 22?  (Read 904 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
What size turkey on a 22?
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
I have a 19 pounder in the fridge, she looks kinda big for the 22 will she fit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: What size turkey on a 22?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:45:44 AM »
I have a 19 pounder in the fridge, she looks kinda big for the 22 will she fit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I don't have much experience in this but do you plan on spatchcocking or using a rotisserie?  I imagine it might make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
Your turkey might be too big in the sense that you won’t have enough clearance between the grill grate and the lid. If you have a rotisserie ring I’d suggest using it or you might not be able to close the lid. If all else fails you can just cut the turkey in half and grill / smoke it that way...won’t look too pretty presentation wise but at least it will fit on the grill!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 06:33:41 AM »

Without removing the wrapping, put your turkey in a pan and place it on the cooking grate.  Put the kettle lid on and use a flashlight to look through the lid vent holes to check clearance.   As long as the lid sits on the bowl without hitting the turkey, it will be fine.  I don't remember the largest whole turkey I have cooked on the grate but I remember the clearance between the turkey and the lid as being about 1/4".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:35:45 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 06:52:47 AM »
It may be difficult to attain higher heat, but you could ditch the cooking grate and put the bird in a roasting pan in the “basement.”  That will ensure clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:56:30 AM »
One more reason to buy a roti-ring. I did a much larger bird (24lbs as I recall) on my 22.5 with the roti ring for headroom. (I have spun a bird too, but this time I had it on a grate)  Used some foil to block the openings. Worked great.

Marty
Retired