Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizzaque First timer  (Read 15179 times)

Jf7fsu

• Happy Cooker
Pizzaque First timer
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:25:26 PM »
Picked up a unit for $67 on Amazon couldn’t pass it up at that price. Very sturdy unit well constructed and high quality parts.  First run I realized I did not use enough charcoal and wood - it only got high 500’s.  I reloaded with double the lump charcoal and added double the amount of wood and I got that thing roaring over 700. Next time I will use briquettes instead of lump charcoal -the fire did not last long enough with the lump.  Results were pretty good I got some decent pizzas out will do better next time now that I understand the process a little better. 

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizzaque First timer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
When trying to get it hot and keep it hot I tend to have better luck when I keep the wood chunks a little smaller as they light faster and burn hotter.  I also tend to throw wood in between pizzas or between every other pizza.  I am using a kettle pizza and I usually use a heaping chimney of charcoal in a metal basket in the back.  Sometimes my temperatures might fall for a bit, but I use parchment paper when I am shaping my dough and it prevents the dough from sticking to the pizza stone.  I just carefully pull the parchment paper out after the bottom has had a minute or two to cook.  Worst case scenario the paper lights on fire. 

With the one chimney of charcoal and the wood chunks I have successfully done garlic cheese bread and 6 pizzas all in one run.  I tend to throw the cheese bread in first while the stone and grill are heating up.  Makes a good appetizer and it doesn't stick to the stone when it is colder because the bread is already cooked.  I simply add a crap load of cheese to it to make it that much better. 

That is some nice pizza you made! It has been a big hit at my house and with everyone we have over because they can make it exactly how they want it.  I shape the dough on the parchment paper before starting and when one pizza goes in the grill I tell whoever is on deck to make their pizza to go in. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:08:52 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jf7fsu

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
Maybe my chimney is smaller than yours but one definitely did not do it. I had to use an entire another chimney and quite a bit of wood to get it to where I got it next time I think Ricketts may burn a lot longer and harder and maybe I can fit Martin I was using Kingsford lump charcoal. Maybe I can do better with a different brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:11 PM »

When trying to get it hot and keep it hot I tend to have better luck when I keep the wood chunks a little smaller as they light faster and burn hotter.  I also tend to throw wood in between pizzas or between every other pizza.  I am using a kettle pizza and I usually use a heaping chimney of charcoal in a metal basket in the back.  Sometimes my temperatures might fall for a bit, but I use parchment paper when I am shaping my dough and it prevents the dough from sticking to the pizza stone.  I just carefully pull the parchment paper out after the bottom has had a minute or two to cook.  Worst case scenario the paper lights on fire. 

With the one chimney of charcoal and the wood chunks I have successfully done garlic cheese bread and 6 pizzas all in one run.  I tend to throw the cheese bread in first while the stone and grill are heating up.  Makes a good appetizer and it doesn't stick to the stone when it is colder because the bread is already cooked.  I simply add a crap load of cheese to it to make it that much better. 

That is some nice pizza you made! It has been a big hit at my house and with everyone we have over because they can make it exactly how they want it.  I shape the dough on the parchment paper before starting and when one pizza goes in the grill I tell whoever is on deck to make their pizza to go in.

I used parchment paper and teamwork as well. I stopped using wood chunks. I could easily get 700-900 with a chimney and a half or 2 with good old kingsford.  Cooking pizza on the kettle was great because I learned how to make a pizza from scratch but I’ve since abandoned the kettle in favor of the oven. Bigger pizzas and more convenient. It’s a trade off I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
I am using Embers (generic brand Royal Oak) briquettes.  I run all of my vents wide open.  If you are using lump, maybe you aren't getting as much charcoal in your chimney as I do with briquettes.  I use the larger Weber chimneys and literally stack the briquettes as high as I can because I know that as they are getting lit they will settle.  I would think lump would burn plenty hot, but maybe not last as long or be as consistent with temps.  I am also using a different pizza ring so it might just take some experimentation to get it dialed in.  The parchment paper does help a lot though just in case the temp on your pizza stone gets a little too cold.  Nothing sadder than a pizza lost because it got stuck to the stone. 

Maybe my chimney is smaller than yours but one definitely did not do it. I had to use an entire another chimney and quite a bit of wood to get it to where I got it next time I think Ricketts may burn a lot longer and harder and maybe I can fit Martin I was using Kingsford lump charcoal. Maybe I can do better with a different brand?

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jf7fsu

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »
I am using Embers (generic brand Royal Oak) briquettes.  I run all of my vents wide open.  If you are using lump, maybe you aren't getting as much charcoal in your chimney as I do with briquettes.  I use the larger Weber chimneys and literally stack the briquettes as high as I can because I know that as they are getting lit they will settle.  I would think lump would burn plenty hot, but maybe not last as long or be as consistent with temps.  I am also using a different pizza ring so it might just take some experimentation to get it dialed in.  The parchment paper does help a lot though just in case the temp on your pizza stone gets a little too cold.  Nothing sadder than a pizza lost because it got stuck to the stone. 

I was running the bottom wide open and the top closed.  Maybe that was the problem?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »
Worth a shot. More air helps give you more heat.  Only downside I could see is that the lid might not get as hot and that may help cook the top of the pizza.

I use a baking steel on top of my kettle pizza that is purely designed to retain and reflect heat down on the top of the pizza.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sussie

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 02:10:52 AM »
It reminds me that one special oven kit that I bought last week. Still can't get it cause of one damn logistic mistake!  >:(
I really like the fact that it has a built-in thermometer and the handles seem comfortable, though.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:35:17 AM by Sussie »

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
Pizza looks great... I gotta try this!
View to a Grill on YouTube