Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis rotisseri spit mod.  (Read 4027 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Genesis rotisseri spit mod.
« on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
@Mr.CPHo hooked me up with a spit, and suggested that I get a spit collar. I was impatient, so I just took tje grinder and a file to it. It seemed like it worked pretty good.

I thought I could get away with not tying the legs, but I started hearing something in the kettle, and one leg had came loose and it kicked one charcoal basket over. I ended up folding them over the spit and stabbing another spit fork on there to hold them. Invited a couple friends over for dinner and they seemed to really like it.

I might spin a pork loin or something tomorrow I enjoyed it so much

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Genesis rotisseri spit mod.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:28:52 AM »
that looks very tasty, nice job on the grinder and file work!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:26:57 AM »
Great story - I bet you were like "what the...." when you heard that noise coming from the kettle! Still looks incredible!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
Yeah, I definately knew there shouldn't be metal banging up against the side of the kettle! Lol
I had 2 oranges and a sliced up apple stuffed in its cavity, and they all fell out, and landed in the gravy pan. But the gravy didnt taste like fruit at all, Idk why. I figured the grinder mod may come in useful for someone in the future. I had passed on a genesis spit and motor before because I didnt think it would work.

I think I'm gonna grab a pork loin to try out tomorrow. I found an eye of round roast once, and it was really good, hopefully I will see one of those sometime soon too.

I am super happy with the roti. I got 2 rings, and the motor and forks with my ssp for 40 bucks. And I couldnt squeeze any pay pal info out of mr.CPHo, so I'm in this thing for less than free if you ask me. I want to get the other ring going now.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 05:21:38 AM »
I'm sure you're not the first person to have a funny story on a rotisserie fail (and you won't be the last)! 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 05:58:33 AM »
Glad you’re enjoying your new toy.  Spinning a roti is so much fun and mesmerizing.

A couple of suggestions from my own learning curve using a roti, trust me on trussing - you’ll want to purchase a lot of twine and practice trussing poultry and loins.  The counterweight should be placed behind the wooden handle and between the hanging hook (unscrew the hook).  I use halved onions and lemons in poultry cavities. 

Since you have another roti ring, consider installing a grate and using it for elevated direct cooking.  A second ring is also nice to have for placing your loaded spit and balancing the counterweight, and as a place to rest your meats after cooking.

Most importantly, have fun and post pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:17:22 AM »
I really do appreciate it! I tried to send you a video, but Idk if you got it. I usually use this char-griller kettle for elevated cooking, and it works really nice. Especially on poppers and pork loin. I wanna do a loin really bad on the roti now. You tie up your loins with twine too? I guess I better buy some twine.

Oh and I had no idea how the counterweight was supposed to work lol. It seemed to ride pretty well, I may have gotten lucky when I put the bird on the spit though.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 06:19:58 AM »
Oh and what is the weird little washer that is right up next to the wood handle?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »

Glad you’re enjoying your new toy.  Spinning a roti is so much fun and mesmerizing.

A couple of suggestions from my own learning curve using a roti, trust me on trussing - you’ll want to purchase a lot of twine and practice trussing poultry and loins.  The counterweight should be placed behind the wooden handle and between the hanging hook (unscrew the hook).  I use halved onions and lemons in poultry cavities. 

Since you have another roti ring, consider installing a grate and using it for elevated direct cooking.  A second ring is also nice to have for placing your loaded spit and balancing the counterweight, and as a place to rest your meats after cooking.

Most importantly, have fun and post pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I agree on the trussing. I can finally do it without watching a video lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
I need to do some research. I just kinda stabbed the turkey on there and stuck it on the grill lol

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »

It's really pretty simple once you've done it a couple of times. There are probably many different methods but I learned to truss and spit a turkey watching this YouTube video. It's also where I learned what a Surgeon's Knot was.  Makes it so much easier when tying the string to plump the breast.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLBRE3CdA4

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
I didn't watch any videos, I'm sure a surgeon's knot would have helped. But this was probably the best loin I've ever had. I put a little apple juice water and a couple drops of hot sauce in the pan. Then took that afterwards and stirred butter into it. I think I learned that here. I used some of the drippings and apple juice to baste it when I noticed a couple spots getting dry.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 08:34:17 AM »
Looks grate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »
Thanks! They are forecasting snow for thanksgiving, but I already planned to take a couple grills to my moms and spin some stuff. Guess I will have to dig out the insulated pants.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 05:40:31 AM »
I wish I could do a roast for Thanksgiving, but cooking is everything to my MIL (and she's an awesome cook), so even though we're hosting, she's cooking the bird. Maybe one day!