Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buffing a kettle  (Read 1734 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Buffing a kettle
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
Anyone ever try hitting a kettle with a DA or Rotary buffer to remove light scratches? I saw Chasing_Smoke's new red 18.5" and it got my gears turning. I used to detail, but I dont know if porcelain acts like paint when trying to correct it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Buffing a kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
no idea, I would think that porcelain is going to react differently than paint though.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
I haven't tried that... maybe try a small inconspicuous spot like on the bottom and see what happens...  :-\

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
I haven't tried that... maybe try a small inconspicuous spot like on the bottom and see what happens...  :-\

I'll try to snag my porter cable random orbital from my parents house and see what happens.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
Its not paint. I don't think it will remove scratches. You can clean it, polish it and thats probably all you can do. I would try it on a black grill, after all, its the hardest color.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
It is indeed paint, enameled paint, i.e. baked on at high temperature. You can treat it like a car's fender however you like but you won't be applying enameled paint to it.

(And porcelain is ceramic or china.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
According to Weber, they  are finshed in "Porcelain Enamel".  Here is a definition:

Porcelain enamel, also called, vitreous enamel, is a scratch-resistant coating made by fusing powdered glass to metal and other underlying materials by way of fire. The glass cools to form a smooth and durable coating for a variety of modern uses.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7251313_porcelain-enamel_.html#ixzz2WjSWOHkK

Still say its a paint?    8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..