Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Broke down and bought a Q  (Read 4879 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Broke down and bought a Q
« on: November 15, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
I used to cook with a cheap Char-Broil gasser years ago until a good friend convinced me to try a Weber Kettle out. I’ve built up a nice collection of vintage Kettles but I’ve always been curious about the Q. Not sure why everyone says the Q is the gasser got charcoal guys, guess I’ll find out soon.

I found a sweetheart deal on a 3200 with a cover and full tank of gas. I just cleaned it up this week and it’s on the patio now. Test burn on an 18 degree day had me at 425 in no time at all.

Our third kid is coming in less than a month and while I can get coals going rather quickly I hope to cook faster outside when I’m under the gun. Work has really been kicking my ass and that isn’t going to change this upcoming year either. I don’t want to ignore my kettles, I just want to be more efficient during the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Broke down and bought a Q
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 05:35:35 PM »
Very cool. Been tempted to pick one up. Be sure and post a cook on it when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »
Q's are excellent grills.  I cooked on a few over that last 2 years,
and decided last winter that I would grab one and give it a good
evaluation. 

We have been using a Genesis 330 for years and years,
but with just me and my wife at home now, it was bigger than what
we really needed for daily cooks.  We decided to go retro and restore
a Jr. and a Genesis 2000.  However, during that time we would use the Q300 and
not be in a rush on the restorations.
Now, both resto's are complete, and my original plan was to flip the Q when they were
done, but we continue using the Q300 as it is just quicker to use, and I keep it out
on the deck.  I won't do that with either the Jr or 2000 until spring, and maybe never. 
They may end up being used for display pieces only.   

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
I’m going to need to practice more I guess. Did some boneless skinless chicken for a quick cook tonight. Start to finish was 20 minutes so a little quicker than the kettle.

Had issues with the chicken sticking but overall not a bad result.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »

I found brushing a little olive oil on skinless chicken breasts kept them from sticking to the CI grates on my Q.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
I hear ya Jim, I thought there was enough oil from the Italian dressing marinade but I guess I’m not used to the Q and CI grates. Time will tell if I keep this grill, I may chose charcoal flavor over speed.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Broke down and bought a Q
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »
Looks good brother. Had you in mind for my dad’s Q since he remarried my mom and she has a Spirit (and a sweet red mist now [emoji6]) Guess you won’t be needing it now!

You’ll have to introduce me to that friend of yours LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 05:56:58 AM »
Love my Char Q! Grate grill! The gasser is Grate too. Enjoy and welcome to the Q Club [emoji3]

Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!

PKG920

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »
I LOVE MY Qs   i have char Q and 4 2200 i use 2 for tail gating at the 49er games one for little stuff in back yard and a spare   when i do not want to pull out the summit

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 01:51:34 PM »
Very interesting choice of words there...”I broke down...” just teasing...I’ve thought about one of those too.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »
Old thread resurrected. Yes the Q is a good gasser now that I’ve had more time with it. Actually used it tonight to quickly grill up 4 boneless chicken breasts for some salads. Can’t beat it for those kind of cooks. Still love the kettles and prefer them to the Q but sometimes I just don’t have the time.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 03:23:28 PM »

Old thread resurrected. Yes the Q is a good gasser now that I’ve had more time with it. Actually used it tonight to quickly grill up 4 boneless chicken breasts for some salads. Can’t beat it for those kind of cooks. Still love the kettles and prefer them to the Q but sometimes I just don’t have the time.

Have you done brats or sausages on it?  I’ve never used a q but the gas go anywhere and genesis do an amazing job on all meat in tube form. I prefer gas over kettles for that purpose.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »

Have you done brats or sausages on it?  I’ve never used a q but the gas go anywhere and genesis do an amazing job on all meat in tube form. I prefer gas over kettles for that purpose.

Not yet but I can see it being a great cooker for those meats. Burgers, hotdogs, steaks, did a small standing rib roast once.

What isn’t fun about it? Grease pans, cleaning out the cooker to avoid grease fires. I use a lot of drip pans or foil in my kettles which makes for easy cleanup.

rudeman

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 05:57:49 AM »
I bought a Q about three years ago to use while camping. I needed something that is easy to handle and somewhat neat. It also needs to fit in the back of my truck, under the tonneau cover.

I really like this little grill. It does a great job, has plenty of grill area and the temp is pretty easy to control. So far I've cooked brats, hot dogs, burgers (beef and turkey), pork steaks and even venison. It does it all and does it well.

At home, if I need to get something done quick I use my natural gas Spirit E310 (Another great Weber product). But of course, The Kettle, is the grill of choice.
Rudy Cardenas
Belleville IL