Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Made some chipotles on the Weber  (Read 986 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Made some chipotles on the Weber
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:52:49 PM »
I had a lot of jalapeños for this year’s harvest. Probably 20-25 pounds. I had to throw away about 7 pounds of peppers because I took too long to do this project and they got moldy.

I didn’t know what to do with them all, so I made some chipotle powder!

I removed the stems and seeds from all of the peppers, smoked them over pecan chunks at 200 for about 4-5 hours, then stuck them in my dehydrator for 12 hours. After they cooled, I ground them up.

Except for coring all the peppers, It wasn’t too much work. It was a lot of fun! I mixed a spoonful in some Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce I had and it was marvelous on grilled chicken legs! Next is some chipotle mayo on a burger!

Maybe next year I’ll candy some too!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

controlledburn

• Smokey Joe
Re: Made some chipotles on the Weber
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
That’s a great idea you had to utilize those peppers, I’ll be using that one next pepper harvest. They’ll add a lot of flavor to future creations!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
Nice work there.
I smoke the red ripe ones and fire roast the green ones.
Gives me two totally different spices.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
I’m from Washington state, where peppers were rare if no existent growing up. Having lived in Phoenix now for 25 yrs, I ask myself how did I not know? Those look great. Love chipotle peppers! Now you got to make homemade salsa with that.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
Looks really good! I smoked/dehydrated peppers for the first time this year, I posted to the WSM thread. I need to get the rest ground up and get some more pictures.

I saw a guy on thehotpepper forum candied some fatilli peppers, I may try it next year. My freezer is still full from 2018. I need to do something with those pods.

Oh yeah... I like your dehydrator too! Can you control the temp on it?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
Looks great. Tell us more about the dehydrator.

I dehydrated but didn’t smoke. Never crossed my mind ironically.

Here’s this years peppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments! I’m still thrilled with the results! Yesterday, my wife made some killer Mac & cheese..... guess what I sprinkled on top of mine? It was delicious!

I love my dehydrator! I need to use it more! My mom gifted it to me one Christmas a few years ago. She bought it from Cabela’s, but I don’t think they carry it any longer. Here is a link to the manufacturer’s website https://excaliburdehydrator.com/products/excalibur-9-tray-26hr-timer-solid-door-black?variant=31219609337988

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
Nice move my man!  I had a buddy a few jobs ago that would do this with all kinds of peppers and make his own hot dry rubs for wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.