Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grill Adventures  (Read 1504 times)

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
Grill Adventures
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:40:57 AM »
On my work travels this week I trolled FB Marketplace.

As of today, I have acquired 3 Smokey Joe's

1 Free Dinged up Black (Silver Edition)
1 AH Code Lime Green
1 M Code Gold w/ Wood Handle - Pristine - NEW

And one NIB Charcoal Go Anywhere

Tomorrow I hope to acquire a Performer and a Silver Edition Smokey Joe w/ Wooden Handle

If everything goes as planned, I'll be all in for $125

I just missed an SSP that was free in Northern Jersey yesterday!  That one stung a bit... It was posted on Sunday and I'm sure the "seller" was inundated with messages.  I hope someone on here grabbed it!

I'll post pictures later in the week or this weekend with my haul...

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grill Adventures
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
Quite a score - look forward to seeing the haul!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
The Weberitis is strong in this boy
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 10:23:28 AM »
Wow! Well done Joe!

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
The Weberitis is strong in this boy

"There is no try, only do!"

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
Ok, so about to go to bed at hotel, but for the Perfomer I'm getting in the morning, I have some special plans for this Gen 3 to make it my own.

1) I have no need for gas assist.  I use chimneys and will likely be getting a BBQ Dragon Chimney and Fan for Christmas.  I will be taking the gas assist out, removing the kettle currently on this Performer and installing a BBQ Guru Adapter in the gas assist hole to use with my Cajun Bandit Extension Ring.  I will be plugging the lid bail holes with bolts, washers and felt gasket material on inside.  For a replacement Kettle, do I get the Crimson Original Kettle and reuse lid bail or get the Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch?  Keep reading...

2) My work history (and the company I currently work for) involves stone and stainless steel.  I plan on painting the U Frame assemblies black, having custom front and rear side panels custom made from Stainless Steel and making a dark dark gray/black concrete countertop to replace the plastic countertop.  I'm leaning Crimson, but that OCEAN BLUE!?!?!?!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 07:12:58 PM »
Even if you do not use gas assist it can be nice for lighting the coals in the chimney.  It is your kettle to do what you want with though.  I would probably go ahead and keep the lid bail installed.  Gen 3 may not have the current lid bail that allows the lid to sit more 90 degrees in the air.  You could always order this part and swap it out.  It is much better than the regular lid bail in my opinion. 

As for the replacement kettle if you wish to go that far I would try to find a kettle that is one handle with the lid bail like the Master Touches.  I can't remember if crimson is this way or not.  You could also keep an eye out for other used performers for an easy swap.  There are some interesting colors like brick red, C&B green (similar to spring green), blue, and etc.   

When making the swap with a non performer kettle you will need new brackets unless you wish to remove the old ones off the existing kettle.  You seem picky like me so I would recommend some Stainless steel brackets.  A member here qwesthunter sells brackets if you are interested.  He also has a facebook and youtube channel if you want to get a closer look at them.  Just search R Shack BBQ and you should find his stuff.  You will also need to cut the bowl handle off and either leave it or cover it with a stainless steel plate. 

Before you go head with the BBQ Guru I would recommend you check out Thermoworks Signals and their new air controller Billows.  It can get pricey, but if you are patient you can get it 15 to 20% off.  This would allow you to have one grate probe and 3 meat probes while cooking.  I haven't bought one yet, but it is certainly on the list of wants.  Good luck.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 02:26:57 AM »
I also agree about keeping the gas assist in place if it comes that way. The dragon chimney sounds like a gimmick to me. If you stack an empty chimney on top of a full chimney it greatly reduces the time to get the coals going, by a lot.

I also wouldn’t worry about plugging holes with gaskets and such. I’ve seen this a lot lately and in my opinion it’s a waste of time and not necessary. Once kettles are well used and “seasoned” the lids seal up well enough and can hold a steady temp range for a long duration.

I’d also keep the lid nail hardware attached so you can use it for a grill while the CB ring isn’t installed.

Concrete table on a performer? Yeah that would be sweet. Heavy but you could do a lot with it. You could put ornamental iron in the mold and have it part of the table and get creative with the color pattern you use also. Or do something like put the Weber logo or kettle logo stamped in the mold so you’d have a kettle in the center of your concrete table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:02:59 AM »
I like it. If you plan on putting a non gas assist bowl in then getting rid of the gas assist makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
Ok, so about to go to bed at hotel, but for the Perfomer I'm getting in the morning, I have some special plans for this Gen 3 to make it my own.

1) I have no need for gas assist.  I use chimneys and will likely be getting a BBQ Dragon Chimney and Fan for Christmas.  I will be taking the gas assist out, removing the kettle currently on this Performer and installing a BBQ Guru Adapter in the gas assist hole to use with my Cajun Bandit Extension Ring.  I will be plugging the lid bail holes with bolts, washers and felt gasket material on inside.  For a replacement Kettle, do I get the Crimson Original Kettle and reuse lid bail or get the Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch?  Keep reading...

2) My work history (and the company I currently work for) involves stone and stainless steel.  I plan on painting the U Frame assemblies black, having custom front and rear side panels custom made from Stainless Steel and making a dark dark gray/black concrete countertop to replace the plastic countertop.  I'm leaning Crimson, but that OCEAN BLUE!?!?!?!

If you like red, I've got a Limited Edition Red with performer brackets listed here:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=43934.0  Can't wait to see what a concrete countertop looks like . . .

Drew Z.
Ivory SSP, A-Code CGA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, Snap On GA,  3-burner Genny Jr., Pat. Pending Aristocrat, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, S-320, GGA

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 06:21:06 AM »
.....The dragon chimney sounds like a gimmick to me. If you stack an empty chimney on top of a full chimney it greatly reduces the time to get the coals going, by a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have dragon chimney and fan - it really works well in lighting the coal way faster than anything I have tried . I also don't use much of gas assist , half of Weber cube , dragon chimney with fan and coals are ready in 6-7 minute tops ( as they advertise)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Colored 18 MBH