Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shutting down a 22  (Read 869 times)

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
Shutting down a 22
« on: November 17, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »
Just finished my 2nd cook on a new to me 22" kettle. When I shut it down the coals continue to burn, staying hot or warm for at least a couple hours, pretty much till the coals are shot. When cleaning it up earlier this week I noticed one of the sweepers does not ride right on the kettles base, it's about an 1/8th" up, is this enough to keep the unit from going out or is this normal for a 22? I can order replacement sweepers if it'll help. The lid vent seems fine.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Shutting down a 22
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
Just finished my 2nd cook on a new to me 22" kettle. When I shut it down the coals continue to burn, staying hot or warm for at least a couple hours, pretty much till the coals are shot. When cleaning it up earlier this week I noticed one of the sweepers does not ride right on the kettles base, it's about an 1/8th" up, is this enough to keep the unit from going out or is this normal for a 22? I can order replacement sweepers if it'll help. The lid vent seems fine.
3 possible soulutions

1. Keep cooking on it untill gout get a good build up to help seal it.

2. Remove the sweeps and bend them out some and re install

3. If that doesnt work replace them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
How do you remove the sweeper shaft, is there a trick to it? Forget this part of the question, just saw on ereplacement that I can use a screwdriver, will try it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:52:08 PM by padlin00 »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »
Yeah watch the video. It is kind of screwdriver and twist motion to get it out.  Once you see it it makes perfect sense.
How do you remove the sweeper shaft, is there a trick to it? Forget this part of the question, just saw on ereplacement that I can use a screwdriver, will try it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
In my experience with ash sweeps, you’ll never get it bent back right to seal up. Just order a replacement set of sweeps on Amazon or directly from Weber. Be careful if you use lump charcoal. That usually falls through the coal grate then causes the sweeps to get caught up and bent. If you feel any resistance with the sweeps, stop and check.

Switch to 3 wheeler cookers and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
Think I saw a part number posted somewhere on the forum for stainless steel sweeps, does anyone have a link for such?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
Stainless sweeps #90720 is stiffer and would last much longer than the aluminized version.