Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Battle of the inexpensive hatchets  (Read 1567 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Battle of the inexpensive hatchets
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
First of all I love all wooden handled tools. Cheap or high quality.

I’ve been practicing for an upcoming axe throwing event Saturday.  I’m not an axe thrower but didn’t want to show up unprepared.

I bought a 13” long 1.25 lb axe from rural king. It was decently sharp from the store but I’ve found it’s a little short and over rotates for the distance I’ll be throwing.

I went to harbor freight and bought a 1.25lb axe with a 16” handle. Both axes are same weight and both cost $12. Perfect I thought. Then when the harbor freight wouldn’t stick and dulled immediately I realized some differences.

The rural king “truper” axe had a slimmer profile and tolerated abuse without dulling.

The harbor freight no name dulled immediately and had a fat profile. Not something I noticed until purchasing both and comparing. Also when buying an axe of any size check the grain of the wood. The stronger handle will be more parallel to the length of the bit. I did sort through and those varied greatly.

I grinder and sharpened the harbor freight axe and it’s better but it’s overall shape is inferior. Same price just different length handle and a completely different shaped head. You can see clear defined points on the corner of the truper axe and it’s slimmer profile. It’s also harder steel.

Anyways I found it interesting.

https://youtu.be/PrSnjcUvBQ0

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:54:59 PM by HoosierKettle »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Battle of the inexpensive hatchets
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
You’ll love it. It’s a bunch of fun. Once you get the release right with the proper distance, it’s pretty easy to score consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Battle of the inexpensive hatchets
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:45:41 AM »
You’ll love it. It’s a bunch of fun. Once you get the release right with the proper distance, it’s pretty easy to score consistently.

Is that target at your house?  I’m going to make a better one. I just nailed some scrap wood together just to get throwing.

What type and length of hatchet are you using?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:48:49 AM by HoosierKettle »

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »
We went axe-throwing a few weeks ago with my youngest brother's family, and my wife was a natural. Now in charge of the laundry for some reason.....
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »

Is that target at your house?  I’m going to make a better one. I just nailed some scrap wood together just to get throwing.

What type and length of hatchet are you using?

No that was at an indoor range in Pleasant Grove, Utah that I visited with my brother when I was there last year. They do a variety of hatchet and spear throwing.

The hatchets they give beginners are not unlike what you’d find at a hardware store. They had a variety there for rent and for sale.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »
I've been throwing since we built our log cabin 40 years ago.  My Dad grew up with it on the farm and taught me.  One of those bars opened in Duluth, but I haven't been, yet.  These are part of my modest collection.