Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scallops  (Read 1806 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Scallops
« on: November 06, 2019, 02:45:37 AM »
Haven't posted a cook in while, simple but awesome. Avacado oil in the pan 1000 deg plus fire,  took about 35 seconds for the pan to hit 450 scallops went on waited about 2 mins they released perfectly and another minute and half on the other side @jebivswife with the assist on the salad it was good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Scallops
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:16:01 AM »
I've never had a scallop, what are they like? The more I see people cooking them, the more I get interested in them

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:23:08 AM »
Oh yeah!  Can’t beat the kettle and cast iron for searing. Looks incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »
I've never had a scallop, what are they like? The more I see people cooking them, the more I get interested in them
Very tender, a slight taste of the Sea. simply allow them to dry completely to achieve that nice crust and then a slight amount of salt and pepper before cooking. you should try them
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 03:27:22 AM »
Oh yeah!  Can’t beat the kettle and cast iron for searing. Looks incredible.

I agree, I keep tinkering around with high smoke point oils for cast iron cooks and was very impressed with the Avocado oil, this was first time trying it, had not smoked yet when I had 450 registered in the pan and zero flavor added to the scallop and the pan cleaned right up as if it was never cooked on

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 04:11:41 AM »
Be sure to ask for and buy DRY scallops. Not the bleached-white kind you often see, which are WET processed. Makes a huge difference. I use butter in an iron pan and baste with butter as I go. A little salt and pepper is all you need. Don't overcook, but they need to be opaque. One of my favorite things to "grill".

Marty
Retired

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 04:19:32 AM »
Be sure to ask for and buy DRY scallops. Not the bleached-white kind you often see, which are WET processed. Makes a huge difference. I use butter in an iron pan and baste with butter as I go. A little salt and pepper is all you need. Don't overcook, but they need to be opaque. One of my favorite things to "grill".

Marty
Great advice which I should have said, I have had better success with clarified butter than regular butter but wanted to try something different so that the flavors from the salad mated up with the scallops. And the dry scallops are a little harder to find at least in my area but is truly the only way to go for a good scallop

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 04:35:57 AM »
I’ve never known about dry scallops. I’ve always bought scallops at Sam’s club. They look about the same size as the ones shown here and are frozen.

I thaw them in cold water AND pat them dry with paper towels. They sear just fine. I’ll have to see if I can find dry ones or maybe that’s what those frozen ones were. I have no idea.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 06:16:35 AM »
"Soaked" (also known as "wet" or "treated") scallops have been soaked in a bath of phosphates (or more precisely- sodium tripolyphosphate), for the purpose of adding water-weight. When scallops are exposed to a phosphate bath, they absorb it and swell - gaining water-weight, and thereby lowering the net cost to the scallop processor. (Keep in mind, that when you buy "soaked" scallops - you are paying for this added water.) The absorbed water evaporates when the scallops are cooked- leaving them smaller, tougher and less-flavorful than their dry counterparts. It is generally easy to discern treated scallops as they will usually appear very white in color.

"Dry" is the seafood industry term for natural scallops, which have not been treated with phosphates. Natural scallops have a slightly tan, or "vanilla"-color. Dry scallops are superior for the following reasons:
For searing purposes, dry scallops caramelize beautifully!
Dry scallops taste sweet & natural, where "wet" scallops can sometimes have a washed-out, or even slightly "soapy" or bitter flavor.
You are not paying for added water with dry scallops.
"Soaked" scallops are very common.

FYI - A quick search shows Sam's sells both. There is no regulation that requires that be made clear on the packaging, so be wary. Look for the type that clearly says no chemicals/water added.
You can find high-quality dry scallops - but you will need to go to a reputable seafood dealer, and ask.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:19:58 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
Thank you. From your description I have a feeling mine have been frozen dry scallops. They have that vanilla tan color and have a pleasing taste and texture. I will check the packaging next time I go to Sam’s and see if it says either way

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
I have a recipe for scallops and baby greens salad.  After cooking the scallops in the Cast iron pan you pour in a 2 tbl spoons of scotch, light it on fire  then add lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring to a boil and scrap the pan of all the brown bits.  Pour over greens and toss. Place scallops on top and enjoy.

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
Oh man! Those look delicious and scallops are probably my favorite sea food. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 06:50:10 AM »
Now I'm ISO dry scallops lol.

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
They are a staple at our house.  Yours look great!!!   Makes me want to go get some for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »
If you like seafood, fish,you will like scallops.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club