Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber SSP dimensions?  (Read 1427 times)

BAArteaga

• Smokey Joe
Weber SSP dimensions?
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »
Bit of an odd request and hope I posted this in the right spot here but anyone happen to have the dimensions for a SSP? I've never had issues picking up kettles in my 07 Prius haha but this would be my first Performer so just want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into, what tooIs (if any) are needed in case I need to take it apart etc.. Thanks in advance for any info/tips!

Photo for reference:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber SSP dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
I can't take the measurements at the moment.  As for tools I would recommend a bag with screwdrivers, wrenches, and a socket set.  Additionally I would recommend some kind of battery powered cut off tool and/or grinder.  Unfortunately 20+ years of use ends up giving you some trouble when things are rusted to the point it won't move.  Usually the bolts that give you the most trouble are the bolts where the gas assist bracket attaches to the kettle, the lower lid bail bolt, and the lower cross bars are a rusty mess.  I end up grinding them off a lot of times when I don't want to soak in evaporust.  Expect to grind, bend, and wiggle them back and forth a bit to get them loose if rusty. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

BAArteaga

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Just what I was looking for, have an idea on worst/best case scenarios now. Here's hoping for the latter hah.. cheers!
I can't take the measurements at the moment.  As for tools I would recommend a bag with screwdrivers, wrenches, and a socket set.  Additionally I would recommend some kind of battery powered cut off tool and/or grinder.  Unfortunately 20+ years of use ends up giving you some trouble when things are rusted to the point it won't move.  Usually the bolts that give you the most trouble are the bolts where the gas assist bracket attaches to the kettle, the lower lid bail bolt, and the lower cross bars are a rusty mess.  I end up grinding them off a lot of times when I don't want to soak in evaporust.  Expect to grind, bend, and wiggle them back and forth a bit to get them loose if rusty. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
Get a big pair of vise grips, and the bottom crossbar bolts should either unscrew or break off. The top ones shouldnt be bad. I hauled my ssp turned upside down on top of the car with some straps ran through the doors. Worked like a charm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:40:19 PM by Walchit »

BAArteaga

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
Haha that's awesome and a great idea, thanks for sharing! I'll definitely be considering this approach heh.. cheers!
Get a big pair of vise grips, and the bottom crossbar bolts should either unscrew or break off. The top ones shouldnt be bad. I hauled my ssp turned upside down on top of the car with some straps ran through the doors. Worked like a charm

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »

Did you hop in Dukes of Hazard style?  But Seriously, how did you get in?

This photo made my day!

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
Holy crap. Maybe just rent a pickup truck from uhaul or Home Depot. They’re pretty cheap if you only need one for a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 03:50:48 AM »

Did you hop in Dukes of Hazard style?  But Seriously, how did you get in?

This photo made my day!

Leave your doors open when you put the straps on! They you don't have to go duke style.

And I spent less on gas than it would have cost to rent a truck, I could have used my friends truck, but it uses a lot of gas lol. I paid 40 for the ssp, with 2 roti rings, 1 roti motor, and a couple sets of the spikes that go on the spit, but no spit. 2 hour round trip, and about 10 in gas. I still havent got it all put back together. But I'm close

Oh, and when you forget that its up there, you start to wonder why people are looking at you making a weord face. Then you remember you have a grill strapped to the top of your car lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:53:45 AM by Walchit »

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »

Oh, and when you forget that its up there, you start to wonder why people are looking at you making a weord face. Then you remember you have a grill strapped to the top of your car lol
[/quote]

Better than the car strapped to the top of your grill!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again