Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I picked up an NIB SJP today.  (Read 2724 times)

Duke

• The Duke
I picked up an NIB SJP today.
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
I have been watching this as it sat tucked away in the corner of cl quietly waiting for an interested buyer. I finally emailed it and arranged for a rescue. I'm not sure how long I am going to hang onto it right now, but wasn't going to leave it there if the price was reasonable either.

My tablecloth would make an awesome grill cover wouldn't it? ???

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:17:41 PM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: I picked up an NIB SJP today.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
That's a nice pickup Duke! I've never seen that version of the box art before...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Yeah, it must have been about the last year for them.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
Sweet... is it a DR code?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
I just checked. It's a DU.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
I also picked up a nice 'M' SJG while I was at it.

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
hey craig and duke wondering if I should paint my steel wheels. I was able to get the old red to shine but it is a lot of dull patina. and do you know what color red I can use to paint them?
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
I have been watching this as it sat tucked away in the corner of cl quietly waiting for an interested buyer. I finally emailed it and arranged for a rescue. I'm not sure how long I am going to hang onto it right now, but wasn't going to leave it there if the price was reasonable either.

My tablecloth would make an awesome grill cover wouldn't it? ???

Shaun, if you are doing catch and release on this one I may be interested! Think about it.  ;)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »
Zork, I would just go with a bright red spray. The darker doesn't really look right on wheels. Post your results.

Gum, for you I might be willing to part with it after the awesome footage you got at the meet.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
How much did you get that for, Duke?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:49 AM »
Nice SJP! I'm quite partial to them. Like you, I found mine NIB, but bought it last year at a local hardware store

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
I got it for 35. CB, how do you keep the airflow going on them. I find it always puts a damper on the fire when the lid gets closed just like on the sjg's.

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
Nice SJP. Any idea why Weber did away with this style for the newer Jumbo Joe style that has a more shallow bowl?

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:57 AM »
Am I remembering correctly that the grate size for an SJP is a tad smaller than a typical 18.5?  Or am I making things up again?

I do not need one of these, but there has been a used one on CL for a while and I want to stop seeing it in my searches so I may go get it.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
I got it for 35. CB, how do you keep the airflow going on them. I find it always puts a damper on the fire when the lid gets closed just like on the sjg's.

When I first got the grill I would bank the coals on half of the charcoal grate with an air intake on each end of the cluster of coals. This worked ok, but not great. Recently I began banking the coals with one of the intake vents directly behind the coals. When cooking at low-medium temps I close the air intake opposite the coals & only adjust the intake directly behind the coals to make fine adjustments. When setting up the kettle this way you get pretty good airflow from the intake, through the coals & chips, across the indirect cooking side and out the lid vent (above the indirect side of the grill). If I want high heat I open both intake vents and let the temps soar. They never seem to climb as quickly or as high as the kettles with One Touch vents, but it is sufficient. I've also learned to load more coal than I initially expected to have to use, almost as much as on a 22", because the space between the charcoal & food grates is pretty deep. If not, it can be difficult to get high temps.

In my opinion, the SJPs cook a little different from the other kettles because of the vent design, but once you learn their nuances they are pretty straightforward. I find that I really appreciate being able to take my SJP just about anywhere, including camping, vacations, the park, a friends house, etc. Unlike my SJS, it has plenty of space for two zone cooking, but is still highly portable. Mine may not get much use, but I'd have a hard time parting ways with it.