Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: should I re paint theese steel wheels red?  (Read 2134 times)

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
should I re paint theese steel wheels red?
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
should I re paint theese old steel wheels or leave the patina ?

this is where I've gotten so far on the bowl need to weld still

:'(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:59:02 PM by zorknards2 »
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: should I re paint theese steel wheels red?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »
Up to you but I'd just try to get the rust off and leave em as is...they look super cool.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
Yep, totally an opinion thing, but I would leave them as is.  They look awesome cleaned up.

(I would not even do the welding I don't think - tough to tell from the photos how wobbly it is)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
If the wheel on the left is what they look like after cleaning I'd say that looks great.  As far as welding, if you could make it look inconspicuous it might prevent a bigger problem in the future, but if it just sits there and it isn't a grill you'd move around a lot, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
Neutralize the rust and leave the patina.. You can always clear coat them and it shouldn't hurt the value or the vintage look.
Just my 2 sense..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
Neutralize the rust and leave the patina.. You can always clear coat them and it shouldn't hurt the value or the vintage look.
Just my 2 sense..  8)

Guys, on antique roadshow cleaning your antiques tanks the value! Proceed with caution!

Zork, just do whatever you will enjoy looking at the most. It will be a good looking kettle either way.  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Zork  I say you go whichever way suits you the best. They would look sweet bright red, but they look cool with the patina too. In any event, anything to preserve those wheels.. That wheel style didn't last long (production wise).

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
+1 for the patina.....they look so vintage.  Also, rather than weld, you may want to consider JB Weld.  I and others have used it for repairs and it works very well....just not sure how it will hold up to repeated high heat.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
The more I look at the kettle, the more the patina on the wheels would match the patina on the bowl and lid. Plus they still look red... I like 'em!