Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Controlling temps using bottom vents on older kettle  (Read 863 times)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Controlling temps using bottom vents on older kettle
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
I'm going to be slow cooking some ribs next week, and the grill I'll be using is a 22" kettle from 1997 that has the three bottom vents instead of the current lever ash sweeper system.  Do any of you have any words of wisdom on working those three bottom vents for temp control?  I'll be doing an indirect set up using the snake method as I don't own a S&S.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Controlling temps using bottom vents on older kettle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:11:23 AM »
1 bottom vent open, setup snake beginning just past open vent to eliminate ash clog, lock in temp with top vent and pop a beer and have fun, 3 wheelers are the bomb on low and slow. 8 to 12 lit coals to start snake depending on outside air temp, wood chunks early on the snake for smoke
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:13:25 AM by JEBIV »
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:22:02 AM »
Thanks @JEBIV - I appreciate the intel on the setup! This is for a guys only weekend at my MIL's lake cottage in southern Michigan, and we rotate dinner duty each night. The best part is every meal is cooked on the kettle.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:26:40 AM »
can't wait for the pics of the get together, sounds like fun
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »
It's a blast - the wives are cool with it too, which always helps. I'll post some pics here next week.