Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flavor using Slow N Sear  (Read 2025 times)

rflores99

• Happy Cooker
Flavor using Slow N Sear
« on: October 26, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
I'm not a real big fan of "smoking" quarter legs on an off set smoker giving it too much smoke flavor and pinkish color on the chicken.  Will using the Slow N Sear on the weber kettle grill with chicken on the side as an indirect set up get the same type of abundant "smoke" flavor using charcoal?  I enjoy the flavor more from "grilling" chicken with low to medium heat over charcoals.

Also will using the SNS where you only light up a few (3 or 4) of the charcoals to let it cook "slowly" indirect get the same flavor as lighting ALL the charcoals in the SNS for indirect cooking?

I'm new to all of the weber kettles and SNS so just getting information here.

Thanks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Flavor using Slow N Sear
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
All good questions. I’ve never used the slow and sear but whether you use it or simply bank some coal to the side or sides, it will work just fine. I would light up a full chimney and bank to one side with top vent open and bottom vent at half. This will net around 350-400 cooking temp. That will be very little smoke flavor if that’s what your after.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
As long as you don’t add any wood chunks or chips you should be just fine. I’m not a fan of smoke on poultry either.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
Try using pecan wood with poultry. It’s the only wood I like with poultry. Too much smoke is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
I use the SnS with my kettle. I prefer not having too much smoke on my poultry too.  I show how I set up the kettle with the slow SnS on my smoked turkey video.  Here is the link. How to Smoke a Turkey On The Weber Kettle - How to Brine a Turkey - Smoked Turkey Recipe https://youtu.be/jItYemTryJQ

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
All good questions. I’ve never used the slow and sear but whether you use it or simply bank some coal to the side or sides, it will work just fine. I would light up a full chimney and bank to one side with top vent open and bottom vent at half. This will net around 350-400 cooking temp. That will be very little smoke flavor if that’s what your after.

/\/\ This is how I see it. I don't smoke poultry. Prefer it grilled. Indirect but not too slow...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 02:47:19 AM »
I do chicken all different ways, but I think it shines best when over direct and it just smells so damn good that way
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:01:14 AM »

I do chicken all different ways, but I think it shines best when over direct and it just smells so damn good that way

Yes it does!  My absolute favorite chicken method is wsm top rack and no water pan. No smoke wood. The drippings into the fire is plenty of smoke flavor alone.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 06:35:38 AM »
When it comes to poultry, I'm a grillin' kinda guy...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.