Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Blue SS ---- Part II  (Read 2265 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
My Blue SS ---- Part II
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
It all started with this thread where I attended my first estate sale and scored my first SS
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/blue-ss-and-a-few-questions/msg31469/#msg31469

It's been a slow going, but I finally hit it hard over the past 2 weekends.  Igniter just needed a healthy cleaning (with some Evapo-Rust help) and she fires up like a champ. The frame needed some help.  It wasn't past the point of no return, but it was caught just in time.

And this is where I pretty much said ta-hell with the camera.
But, I did snap this pic of the tank support after the paint dried.  Yeah, I shot the entire grill with gloss black.

Jump ahead to the 99% done photo (still have the tool holders to snap in, but want the paint to cure first)

Yeah, I still have some of the '98 SS protective wrap to remove.   ::)

I polished the ash ring as it used to look like the pot.  (I'm going to paint the pot blue close to the kettle color)

Here she is at home with most of the family in Bman's Gadial Ganing
Thread here - http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/bman's-gadial-gaining/msg36791/#msg36791

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:36:27 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: My Blue SS ---- Part II
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
I also tried my hand at making a few handles.  To anyone thinking of making their own, I have a word of advice.  Don't....
Just order them from Brian.  I've been a wood worker my entire life, but Mr. Zavod I am not.  I'm working on a count (and blanks) and he'll be my handle guy!
Top one is Hickory and the other 3 are Cherry with different stains.  Eff that, I'm ordering from now on.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
Wow that one sure is pretty! How did you get the ash pan to look brand new?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
That ring/ash bucket looks brand new....nice work.  You can get a shiny replacement handle for the ash bucket for a few bucks. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Incredible work, Chad.  That thing really shines!

And wow, what a lineup.  For a guy who is into the blues, you suddenly have a bunch of reds!  ;-)

You should charge admission to your ganing. 
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »

I polished the ash ring as it used to look like the pot.  (I'm going to paint the pot blue close to the kettle color)

I saw that pic and I literally said "Holy sh!t" out loud. That polish job is incredible. So is the rest of your rebuild!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
That turned out real nice!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
Srsly, Chad, how did you shine up that ring so well?  Do tell!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
Thanks fellas.  :)

Ol' school technique for the ash ring.  Started with 150 grit sandpaper (dry) to remove the oxidation.  Then moved to 220, 320, 420, and 0000 steel wool, and finished it off with the Mothers Mag stuff everyone has been yappin about.  Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference between the 0000 finish and the Mag polish finish.

I've got a list of misc crap to order from Weber, and a new pot handle is one of them. 
So maybe I'm not at 99% done just yet...  lol

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »
I think a lot of us are using Mother's Mag to remove oxidation.  You got the oxidation off with pure mechanics, zero chemicals. 

Really incredible restoration, Chad.  Thanks for sharing your secrets.