Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Might be time to empty the ashes...  (Read 3033 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Might be time to empty the ashes...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 07:28:29 AM »
Since @michaelmilitello brought it up, this is a good time to remind members of the dangers of disposing of BBQ ash.  Hot embers can remain dormant in those ashes for many hours and even overnight. Here are two incidents that I personally have witnessed that luckily did not end with the loss of life.   

I only posted this thread so that possibly folks will think twice when storing their recently used grill or when disposing of the ashes from their grills.  I have witnessed two incidents where neighbors of mine caused fires due to disposing of their charcoal BBQ ashes.  One was lucky, the other not so much. One incident was about 30 years ago with my then next door neighbor at my previous house.  It was about 10 PM and I saw the orange glow of a fire through my bathroom window.  I was able to alert them to the fire and we extinguished the flames with our garden hoses. His plastic garbage can and part of his wooden porch were the only damage.  The second incident was more recent and sadly the results were much worse.  A neighbor up the street from me dumped his BBQ ashes in the green recycle container.  It caught fire, traveled up the side of his house and spread to tall juniper trees on the side of his house. The fire quickly melted the plastic window frame of his atrium window and allowed the fire to enter the house. Luckily, all 5 sleeping occupants and 1 dog in the home were able to escape without injury.  His house suffered major fire, smoke and water damage ($300,000) which took over a year to repair.

Here is a link to my post from 2017 of a fire resulting from storing a hot Weber BBQ  -  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=32013.0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:31:57 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Might be time to empty the ashes...
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Maybe I’m an idiot but I usually scrape out my bowl and dump it on the back part of our back yard. Then I’ll rake the ash to spread it out a tad. I use all natural briquettes. My grass isn’t dead yet.

Should I get a large metal can to collect in then set it out to the trash? Seems like a lot of management for ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grass is easy to grow....it'll even grow when/where you dont want it to, dont even have to water it. Garden veggys can be alot more sensitive since they take up so much water and nutrients to grow food and/or flowers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 01:23:06 PM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need