Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Values  (Read 9671 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Values
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
Pay attention LB, I told you I would not pay more than 35.   ;D

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
Pay attention LB, I told you I would not pay more than 35.   ;D

Maybe I will go over to that "other" site since it seems all the smart ones migrated over here.   :D

Value is only in the eye of the beholder.  There are many grilling items and grills that I hold on to because I know on the open market (CL) they will not get the value that I hold for them.  I am with G$, I have a price that I will pay for grills, kettles $40 max, Gassers it depends.  I am a "delayed flipper" in most cases where I buy something and start using it and sell what I am currently using I rarely flip something immediately.  So to respond to a newbie with "the value is what the market will pay" is probably the best answer.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
I get the sense that my posts about CABarrow's $15 yard sale yellow are the impetus for this thread.

If a new member expresses interest in kettles & asks sincere questions I believe that sincere responses are appropriate. When CABarrow asked what her kettle was worth I shared my opinion, based upon what I have observed, and qualified it with "the only way to find the true value is to sell it." Of course others were free to share their opinions as well, and some did.

I understand that some may disagree with armchair appraisals, and that is a legitimate point. However, it doesnt negate a member's ability to offer their opinion in this forum. Just because someone in Illinois wouldnt pay $40 for something doesnt mean that someone in Idaho wouldnt pay double (IIRC, Idahawk paid $75 for PAC Man). The economics of supply & demand are pretty straight forward.

In the end, CABarrow may or may not sell her yellow. If she does, she will likely get a better price for it than she would've had she not asked the question and received several responses. I don't see that as a bad thing. Someone like the OP may need to step up a little bit on price if they are a serious buyer, but that choice is theirs to make.

Bottom line, internet forums are free & open exchanges of information, including fact & opinion. To attempt to choke or stifle that free exchange seems counter productive.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Actually there are several threads over the past few days/weeks that prompted me to post, not one posting. And if you look at CABs posts she/he has made 10 and every single one is about the yellow find...no meaningful other posts to contribute to the site. That is what rankles me. I think lightningboltz said it best, "it's worth what someone will pay" as the answer to the "what's is worth?" question. And I don't feel the need to step up any bid as I have a very fair offer in mind but it'll be a cold day in hell before I offer $200 for that yellow kettle.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
Not offended here.  I love the thrill-of-the-hunt and the history of the score.  This is kinda like the forum version of Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc...  People get the idea their stuff is worth waaaay more than the average (or below) enthusiast is willing (able) to pay.  I know my place on the financial totem pole.  And that's one where the little dogs can still hit when they lift a leg.   :o

Man... I was just thinking about American Pickers and the type of Webers those guys might have come by over the years...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
Actually there are several threads over the past few days/weeks that prompted me to post, not one posting. And if you look at CABs posts she/he has made 10 and every single one is about the yellow find...no meaningful other posts to contribute to the site. That is what rankles me. I think lightningboltz said it best, "it's worth what someone will pay" as the answer to the "what's is worth?" question. And I don't feel the need to step up any bid as I have a very fair offer in mind but it'll be a cold day in hell before I offer $200 for that yellow kettle.

Yeah, but I don't think CABarrow did anything wrong. I would prefer they post here and share their find once and give us enthusiasts a shot. The number of grills that this happens to is still very low in the grand scheme of things so why let it bug you? For every 100+ colored kettle that gets listed in the trading post, a post like this come along. CAB said hello, we got excited and they want to sell. Who knows, maybe they will regret selling it later and want to join us again one day?

On some forums these issues regulate themselves. I'm not saying these how WKC should operate but here are some examples.

Noob asks a question for the 1000th time>>>> Everyone yells search!!!!  >:(
Noob asks a question for the 1000th time>>>> Read the damn stickies before posting, Noob!  :P
Simple question gets posted>>>> Thread gets locked. Member gets put in time out.  :-X
Simple question gets asked for 1000th time>>>>> Noone answers- PO wonders why noone likes him  :(  :'(

These things are the opposite of what makes WKC great. The Irishfire thread is a good example: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/195859-weber-kettle-for-sale!!!/msg35170/#msg35170 All that Hoopla could have been avoided if the PO had some manners. There was no denying that was an awesome kettle with an awesome story but the PO is obviously not a salesman. Everyone would have won if they were upfront about it to begin with. A happy buyer, seller would have gotten more money, the community would have a chance to perv a rare kettle and no pissed off members. So be nice and courteous when trying to sell something!

From the enthusiast end we should also know how to negotiate. If a rare kettle gets posted on the forum the cat is out of the bag so make a move if you can.

"Sure, you can get more money upfront on Ebay but they will take a 12% fee plus listing fees. I'll paypal you the money directly right now and you don't have to deal with the 9% closing fees" take this conversation offline unless you want to get banned on ebay!
"You will be responsible for shipping the kettle and if the kettle arrives dinged I will Paypal Buyer protection your @$$ and you are screwed. So how about you let my agent that can safely pack a kettle in their sleep who also live in your town pick it up instead?  ;)" (Say it nicer though!)
"This will go to a good home to a person that will appreciate it's historical value"
a Sob Story- "My Name is Mike.Stavlund and all I want for xmas is a red performer to match my red Santa hat so can you sell me yours for $20 pretty please?"  :-* lol
and last but not least Grillfella threats! (jk!)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Love your posts Lawrence...I agree they did nothing wrong, just went about it the wrong way. First posts shouldn't be about selling a grill. Sorta like when Jeff called out a guy a ways back as his first (and probably only) post was to sell something.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
Hmm.

I'm still new here, but just as entitled to an opinion as everyone else, so here goes!   ;D

I don't care whether the person that posts about a Yellow kettle or a 1958 Wood Dale for sale has 1 post or 1,000 next to their name.  They posted about a Kettle on a forum about Kettles.  And of course, most sellers will try to make as much as money as possible.  I don't feel like people who only post once or twice trying to sell their vintage grills are doing anything wrong.

I actually appreciate that they are taking the time to try to find a good home and potentially more money, then taking the easier method of selling it on CL for a quick $20.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
As a newbie to this forum, I must say the manner in which you folks are discussing this is exemplary. No personal attacks, just a good civil discussion. Kudos.

Clearly, folks here have amassed knowledge about restoring used grills (which is why I joined), but putting a monetary value on a used barbecue grill is far from a science--seemingly it is more akin to a gut feeling. Auction services and listing boards are much better indicators than any one opinion to value, which is why I would definitely seek advice for use and maintenance of my grills here, but certainly not to help price a weathered outdoor tool.

Uncommon sense seeker

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
Love your posts Lawrence...I agree they did nothing wrong, just went about it the wrong way. First posts shouldn't be about selling a grill. Sorta like when Jeff called out a guy a ways back as his first (and probably only) post was to sell something.

I can also understand it from their point of view.....Find kettle at yard sale, like & buy, Gargle up old Weber on InterToob, find us, ask worth question.........not really that person's job to stop & think thru all of what we're talking about here.....that's OUR job..... thanks for this disscussion & the OP......
This is different than somebody who knows what they're doing & comes in the door jumpin' rude......

I distinctly remember that Yellow as being one where I thought out my answer 1st & stayed away from freaking out & speculating on price....let that happen organically, I guess........CA Barrow did stick around long enough to be interested......

The 1st, last & only post to sell something will put a bad, undefineable taste in my mouth..... :o
But......I'm for treating people courteously even in that event, if possible..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
OGlenn - great post and welcome to the site! Buckie - as always I am excited to hear what you have to say (and how you say it)...no one's better!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Kettle Values
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
That's all sounds great but if they don't get information here they'll go elsewhere and so will those kettles if anything this site and others in the field are the ones driving prices . Being a collector and restorer of cast iron I've seen pans I'd get at yard sales for $5.00 suddenly turn into $ 20.00 dollar pans after word spread about collect-ability, the same will happen with Weber products this is the tip 
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
That's all sounds great but if they don't get information here they'll go elsewhere and so will those kettles if anything this site and others in the field are the ones driving prices . Being a collector and restorer of cast iron I've seen pans I'd get at yard sales for $5.00 suddenly turn into $ 20.00 dollar pans after word spread about collect-ability, the same will happen with Weber products this is the tip

Yeah and that turns into "I heard Griswold holds a seasoning better than lodge? Is that true?!?! Is my grandmas cast iron worth $$$$?" This is how rumors get started lol
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
That reminds me, how much is my Griswold No.6 stamped Erie worth?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
That reminds me, how much is my Griswold No.6 stamped Erie worth?

$150 - $200

lol  (I couldn't resist)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!