Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First reverse-sear steaks  (Read 7141 times)

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
Re: First reverse-sear steaks
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
I pulled mine and patted them down while I got a bit of lump going in the charcoal - not sure if that was a full 10 min or not.  Didn't really think of it as resting - lol

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 07:03:35 AM »
... this is what it's all about!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 05:02:41 AM »
I just learned something new to try.  Letting the steak rest for 10 min before searing.  I've pulled to pat dry, but then always put right back on for the sear.  Which comes out pretty gr8 usually.  I will definitely try the letting it rest part next time, I expect maybe the steak on the outside dries a bit more and the internal juices settle a bit before searing them in?

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
Your assumptions are correct
I just learned something new to try.  Letting the steak rest for 10 min before searing.  I've pulled to pat dry, but then always put right back on for the sear.  Which comes out pretty gr8 usually.  I will definitely try the letting it rest part next time, I expect maybe the steak on the outside dries a bit more and the internal juices settle a bit before searing them in?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sussie

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 01:52:35 AM »

@jhagestad - Were you using Kingsford Original briquettes?  If so, next time try using lump, Weber briquettes or Kingsford Professional. I find they burn much hotter and make for a better sear.  You can also try using the Kingsford Original briquettes but use two baskets filled to overflowing.  The photo below was using Weber briquettes.

@M635_Guy -  Got to give credit to @inkaddictedchef1 for inspiring me to rest the meat between indirect cooking and searing.  I had read that was the correct way to do a reverse sear but never actually took the extra time for that step.  After seeing and tasting the results when Matt cooked the twin tomahawk steaks at the West Coast WKC picnic, I have since incorporated that step into all my steak and tri tip cooks. What's nice is you don't have to rest the steak after searing.  That step is already done prior to the sear.  This is one of Matt's tomahawks sliced for service. 

Looks so damn good that I can't resist to want it too!