Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tried Malcomb's Bacon-wrapped jalapeno-stuffed chicken thighs  (Read 1222 times)

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
Tried Malcomb's Bacon-wrapped jalapeno-stuffed chicken thighs
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:39:06 PM »
Have been wanting to try this since I saw the video when I was starting with the weber a month or so ago (https://youtu.be/OZvhpkaAcqs - my wife thought so too), and got around to it today.

I didn't have a "chicken pan" like his, so I used an old bread pan (for 2 long loaves) covered in foil, which created two channels for the thighs, and boxed it in with some foil:

Thoughts:
- I think the foil setup worked OK, but if I do this regularly I'll either get the chicken pan (not a popular idea - we have too many kitchen things), or figure out a slightly better setup.

- Prep was pretty easy. 

- I needed longer bacon for a more secure wrap, and bigger thighs too.

- The process itself looks like more in the video than it feels like in real life.

- I did a pretty good job keeping the temps.  I let the coals run up and get it out of their system (25 minutes or so after dumping the coals), and then brought it down to the 300F required temperature and held it reasonably steady.  A bit of fiddling, but not bad at all.

- I probably cooked them a tad too long, but the thighs tasted fine, were juicy, etc.  The cream cheese melted out a bit on them.  I think bigger thighs and a tighter wrap enabled by the longer bacon would have mitigated the cream cheese issue.

Final Verdict:  Tasty!  Probably a B- on execution, but that's just incentive to do it again  ;)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tried Malcomb's Bacon-wrapped jalapeno-stuffed chicken thighs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:50:49 AM »
Wow! Nice work! You're not wasting any time on experimenting!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »
Nice job, those look awesome.  Now I have another cook to add to the list of things to try.

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
Wow! Nice work! You're not wasting any time on experimenting!

:)  It's fun.  I'm learning stuff and feeding my wife and spawn. 

My wife has pretty much said the same thing in your sig ;)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
Holy cow! The look like they turned out well. I gotta try this now...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.