Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Always Check That 304 Stainless Steel  (Read 1429 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Always Check That 304 Stainless Steel
« on: November 21, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Last Friday I saw that some 304 stainless steel charcoal baskets on Amazon that were on sale for $37 and figured why not. I haven't been able to find anything like them in 304 SS that wasn't a home fab.  So I purchased two sets and figured I would have them in a week or so. Oddly enough they turn up on my doorstep Saturday. I thought this was weird because La Baux (the seller) was not a Prime seller and almost every non Prime seller uses slower shipping. I look at the box and it is from BBQ Funland instead of La Baux. So now I am getting suspicious and open up my package. The baskets look solid and all, but I can't resist grabbing my magnet to see if it holds a charge. Unfortunately the material was very magnetic and therefore NOT 304 SS. It may have still have been 400 grade or higher SS, but I wasn't going to pay what I did for anything less than 304. Then I see a package label that says "WG403" and I decide to do an Amazon search and find this:

https://smile.amazon.com/BBQ-funland-WG403-Char-Basket-Charcoal/dp/B01CHJM54A/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wg403&qid=1574427070&sr=8-1

I discover that this isn't a simple mix up were the manufacturer sent the baskets in the wrong grade of SS, but the seller was straight up scamming. Advertising their baskets as 304 SS, then buying them at BBQ Funland for $20, and having BBQ Funland ship them out using their Prime shipping. All while pocketing $17 on each order for a few mouse clicks. I furiously requested a refund from both the seller and Amazon in the event that the seller didn't follow through. Fortunately, I had my money returned, but I am still angry that the listing remains for some other poor sucker to get took.  I can't say for sure if the other sellers of the same product listing are doing the same, but I really wouldn't doubt it given their lower number of ratings.

Moral of the story is this.  Grab a magnet and check your 304 SS. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:51:41 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
Re: Always Check That 304 Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
The link is dead now.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 03:55:56 AM »
I edited the link, must have not got the whole URL.  Just to be clear the link above link is to the baskets I received from what I will assume is a legitimate seller.  The other baskets were in an entirely different link for a higher price and didn't advertise that they were those same baskets.

The baskets I received appeared to be solid, but I can't say what grade of SS they are.  I might consider them or there is a set of OnlyFire baskets out there over the standard Weber baskets. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:42:10 AM »
What a shame.   Amazon enjoys a pretty a good reputation, so I certainly hope they would be receptive to feedback that they have sellers falsely promoting their products.   This seems like very obvious deception. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 05:11:39 AM »
I've never heard of such a scam, but that's pretty brazen.  They're definitely counting on folks not noticing the difference in manufacturers and product numbers. Nice work!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 06:24:46 AM »
Amazon did say they would refund my money if the seller didn't.  I did message the seller that shipped them out to make them aware of the situation, but haven't heard a reply.  Unfortunately, I just don't think Amazon can keep track of every seller or sale.  That is why they are so solid with the refunds if there is a mention of shadiness.  There can also be another side to it where buyers will demand a refund and never send something back.

La Beax or whatever they were called sent me a "sorry" gift that was a $4 grill wire brush that isn't stainless and I simply don't like them because a wire can come off and get in the food.  I don't even feel like I can gift it to anyone so it was a total waste.
What a shame.   Amazon enjoys a pretty a good reputation, so I certainly hope they would be receptive to feedback that they have sellers falsely promoting their products.   This seems like very obvious deception. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app