Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mechanical Tri Tip  (Read 1787 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Mechanical Tri Tip
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:04:53 AM »
Picked up a Tri Tip at Aldi that looked nice but was "Mechanically Injected" ? they are hard to find here in any form so Tami and I said what the hell. After running my grill Saturday with the snake and both deflector plates in I decided to duplicate that exact cook for the  Tri Tip since I knew exactly what to expect. 80 % plum 20% hickory for smoke about 2.5 hours at about 225F to IT of 125F We were extremely happy with the Tri Tip and that we were able to sit out and enjoy a few cocktails and a sunset while it cooked I never opened the grill until I pulled it off. You could really taste the plum and hickory smoke. Thanks for looking
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Mechanical Tri Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:30:09 AM »
Looks good to me!  Aldi is a bit hit or miss in my area when it comes to meat.  Fruit and veggies seem to be good though.   Costco has tritips here that are good.  Is the plum similar to apple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 05:35:51 AM »
Nice!  I love plum. I’ve not seen tri tip at aldi yet. I’ve been getting what sams calls tri tip sirloin steaks. They are really good.

Michael, I’ll have to check out our greenwood Costco and hopefully they have it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 05:49:11 AM »
Looks good to me!  Aldi is a bit hit or miss in my area when it comes to meat.  Fruit and veggies seem to be good though.   Costco has tritips here that are good.  Is the plum similar to apple?

Michael, @brewtownbeatdown turned me onto plum, it has become my second favorite behind peach a 80 20 mix of fruit wood to hickory is an awesome mix. For me the apple is to subtle but good, get some plum you won't be disappointed
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »
I better give @jebivswife credit for the sides cauliflower mashed potatoes, homemade horseradish, fresh green beans with almonds and a nice pinot noir

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
Is the plum similar to apple?
Michael, @brewtownbeatdown turned me onto plum, it has become my second favorite behind peach a 80 20 mix of fruit wood to hickory is an awesome mix. For me the apple is to subtle but good, get some plum you won't be disappointed
You’ve become quite the Plum connoisseur.  I’m 100% on board with Peach being number one.  I’m really into using a Peach/Cherry mix lately.  I think Apple & Hickory don’t stand out nowadays, cuz those are the two “flavors” added to everything. 

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞