Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first-ever low-and-slow cook: Boston Butt  (Read 5805 times)

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first-ever low-and-slow cook: Boston Butt
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
Nicely done! I'm a little high-strung myself when it comes to keeping the temperatures constant, but the probes really help calm me down as I know I'm seeking a reasonable temp range for my cook, not one perfect temp. Looks like everything came out beautifully!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
Looks awesome! Yeah it seems like almost anyhting soupy or saucey is always better the second or even third day.

I still need to try a pork butt. Already have too much meat in the fridge though and not enough mouths to eat it!
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
I think I'll do a spatchcock chicken next.  A brisket is on the horizon though...

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 06:22:56 AM »
I think I'll do a spatchcock chicken next.  A brisket is on the horizon though...

At the rate you're going, you're gonna be the most popular guy in the neighborhood!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 06:31:17 AM »
I'll just re-use what's left for whatever is next (thinking a spatchcocked chicken or maybe the redonkulous jalapeno-stuffed bacon-wrapped chicken thighs I saw on the HowToBBQRight channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvhpkaAcqs.  That guy is evil, but the best kind of evil.  Anyway...

I agree with you - Malcolm Reed and his wife put out some outstanding how-to videos. I've used his approaches several times with great results. He just comes across so genuine - you know he loves what he's doing. I also like how he'll bring others in to do their thing and he gets out of the way to watch and learn. He's simply got that down-to-earth style that is really approachable and enjoyable to watch. And, of course, everything cooks beautifully!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:03 AM »
Had some of the Q for lunch just now - the sauce I made is way better today!  I also added back some of the juice that came out after it rested. 

This will be a regular thing...  :)

This might be sacrilegious to many, but pulled pork ALWAYS tastes better then next day or thereafter.  Sauce does as well.  The flavors have time to marry and develop.   Think about this.   When you smoke a butt, the smoke doesn't penetrate very far into the meat.  You could slice off the outer 1/8th inch and all you'd have remaining is cooked pork, just like you'd get baking it in an oven.

But, when you pull the butt and mix it up, all that smokey goodness on the outer surface gets mixed through but will also transfer to the inner portions.     While sitting in the fridge, that flavor will continue to develop and permeate through the pork.   At least, that's what I think it does.       Granted, my taste receptors are kind of shot after messing with a smoker all day.   I don't "taste" smoke nearly as well as others at the end of the day, BUT, I've had other folks tell me the same thing.    That my reheated pork has more smoke flavor than it did the day before.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
My first-ever low-and-slow cook: Boston Butt
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 06:40:16 AM »
Had some of the Q for lunch just now - the sauce I made is way better today!  I also added back some of the juice that came out after it rested. 

This will be a regular thing...  :)

This might be sacrilegious to many, but pulled pork ALWAYS tastes better then next day or thereafter.  Sauce does as well.  The flavors have time to marry and develop.   Think about this.   When you smoke a butt, the smoke doesn't penetrate very far into the meat.  You could slice off the outer 1/8th inch and all you'd have remaining is cooked pork, just like you'd get baking it in an oven.

But, when you pull the butt and mix it up, all that smokey goodness on the outer surface gets mixed through but will also transfer to the inner portions.     While sitting in the fridge, that flavor will continue to develop and permeate through the pork.   At least, that's what I think it does.       Granted, my taste receptors are kind of shot after messing with a smoker all day.   I don't "taste" smoke nearly as well as others at the end of the day, BUT, I've had other folks tell me the same thing.    That my reheated pork has more smoke flavor than it did the day before.

That is true. I add just a touch of a vinegar sauce and a touch of dry rub and mix it through the pork then vac bag and freeze. When we want pork, I pull the bag out and toss in some boiling water.

When you cut that bag open the smell and flavor is simply incredible. Way better than when it’s fresh made imo. The good thing is you can have a stock pile of pulled pork at all times for an impromptu dinner or get together. Or you can make it months in advance of a party.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 06:49:59 AM »
HoosierKettle nailed it. I pull, mix in the juices from the pork, and vac bag into serving sizes. Freeze, and drop into boiling water... meals in minutes!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 07:11:39 AM »
@hawgheaven @HoosierKettle same here, I love my vacuum sealer, game changer and food and money saver !! thus the need for the upright food bank (freezer) in the garage it pays huge dividends
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »
I also agree that the flavor gets more intense as it sits in the fridge. That is why I personally use very few pieces of smoke wood. We don’t like a lot of smoke but a hint is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2019, 07:44:57 AM »
Looks good to me. Like previously stated, just relax. You really do have it down, now spank that next cut you’ve always wanted to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
That is true. I add just a touch of a vinegar sauce and a touch of dry rub and mix it through the pork then vac bag and freeze. When we want pork, I pull the bag out and toss in some boiling water.

When you cut that bag open the smell and flavor is simply incredible. Way better than when it’s fresh made imo. The good thing is you can have a stock pile of pulled pork at all times for an impromptu dinner or get together. Or you can make it months in advance of a party.
Fantastic idea...

I agree with you - Malcolm Reed and his wife put out some outstanding how-to videos. I've used his approaches several times with great results. He just comes across so genuine - you know he loves what he's doing. I also like how he'll bring others in to do their thing and he gets out of the way to watch and learn. He's simply got that down-to-earth style that is really approachable and enjoyable to watch. And, of course, everything cooks beautifully!
Indeed - my wife is not generally one to watch videos like that, but she liked both Malcolm and the everything about the recipe.  I think I'm going to try the stuffed thighs next...