Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kababs on a budget  (Read 1503 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Kababs on a budget
« on: September 28, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Lots of discussion on kabab cookery of late. Haven’t given the technique a fair shake in a while.

I didn’t have fire bricks on hand, so I double stacked some baskets. Actually worked pretty well.  I was able to rotate the skewers without 3rd degree burns.

Now the one problem I was not able to solve was the rotation of the meat. Kept spinning on the skewer which was annoying. Ended up using the grates to eliminate the spin. 

Did three marinades; Indian, jerk, and lemon pepper.

Served on a bed of quinoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kababs on a budget
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Use wood skewers. Slivers a possibility. Smaller pieces of meat. Pack the meat tighter together.  Add veggies in between the meat.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
Like it! Good suggestions for next time.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
If you have a good set of grill gloves or welder's gloves.  They are one of the best things I bought for grilling.  Just remember that they are heat resistant not necessarily fire (or completely burn) resistant! Pretty creative way to do kababs!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:03:38 AM »
I like your setup - creative! I agree with bbqking on the smaller pieces of meat. The bigger the pieces, the more susceptible they'll be to gravity pulling them down and spinning on the skewers. However, we do a lot of kabobs, and when I have larger pieces, I try to cut them into rectangular boxes and skewer them along the pieces' length so there's more weight distributed along the skewer center than away from it. Probably not a perfect solution, but it works for me.  I'll have to give this setup a go next time!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
All excellent suggestions. My chunks were definitely too large. Looking forward to trying again soon.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »
Cool setup!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »
Nice! We just watched an episode of a Netflix food show called Ugly Delicious where the host, David Chang, went to a yakitori restaurant in Japan where they cook in a method similar to yours.

If you're using round skewers and big chunks of meat you need 2 skewers per kebab to keep the meat from spinning. Or get some flat skewers like these BearMoo Kabob Skewers 17" Stainless Steel BBQ Barbecue Skewers 7/20" Flat Metal Grilling Skewers Set, Reusable BBQ Sticks (Set of 10 +1 X Handy Storage) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRU8GIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PnnLDbCYQCMZJ

ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.