Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Concept feedback, anyone? Smokey Joe robata grill accessory  (Read 3208 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Concept feedback, anyone? Smokey Joe robata grill accessory
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »
I like it’s designed to fit the Thaan extruded charcoal without breaking them up. It’s available locally and I’ve used it many times in baskets for rotisserie cooks. I don’t see myself using this for short cooks due to the time it takes to fire up and the time I’d spend grilling on it with Thaan.
A grate or smaller openings on the bottom so Lump doesn’t fall through would be something to consider? If it’s a knock down system how about add on panels to make it universal for all size grills? In a larger grill it could have 2-3 zone grilling capability.
You’re onto something cool here.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:11:02 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Pakitori

• Smokey Joe
Re: Concept feedback, anyone? Smokey Joe robata grill accessory
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:52 AM »
@swamprb, thanks for your thoughts and words of encouragement. Those coals are truely special but they work very differently from lump as you pointed out. This thing has no problem cooking batch after batch of skewers on one charge of coal for 5 hours. Changing up the hole pattern, material, or adding a grate as you suggest would make it better for lump. The holes here are enlarged to help the Thaan catch more thoroughly, since it take a while to get going. Lump absolutely works in this, but that temp spike is ferocious. Still, fine for a short cook. Thanks again for weighing in and sharing your thoughts.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
Good luck with whatever you decide

I’d like one for an 18, and using charcoal

My brickatori setup is the same, but I’m using fire bricks in an 18

Not very portable, but works great
Dude, relax your chicken.

Pakitori

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
Thanks @dazzo! I love the bricks on the grate technique. How far below would you like your coals from the bottom of the grill grate, assuming the skewers are supported just above it? Best, Ted

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »
Hi Ted,

The bricks sit on the charcoal grate and fit right to the bottom of the cooking grate.

If I was strictly using skewers, then higher would more convenient. But current setup lets me use the grate as well...

-Rick
Dude, relax your chicken.

Pakitori

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
@dazzo, that is awesome. Thanks for sending the pic. I'd seen the bricks used up top on the cooking grate before to elevate the skewers and block heat from the bamboo. This, I have not seen before. Nice way to contain the coals!

M.N.Tolmachoff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:49 AM »
Keep on Turning sells a power rotisserie for anything from a CGA to the 26er. Expensive, but a grate accessory. I love mine, attaches to the CGA and my master touch 22. Great idea though, unneeded with the CGA. Could be cool with the 22 though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

22.5 Performer (RIP), 22.5 Master-Touch, Ez-Que, Smokinator 1000, Mini-WSM, SJG, CGA, Keep on Turning rotisserie for kebabs.

Pakitori

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 05:06:08 AM »
That is awesome, @M.N.Tolmachoff. Thanks for sharing it. It had not come up in any of my prior searches. I see a larger model on Amazon is $250. Pricey, but looks fun. Thanks again. Ted

M.N.Tolmachoff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
The USB powered motor is cool. I can use my speaker to power it and listen to blues at the same time. Also you can take it anywhere. Just used it at a friends house party.

22.5 Performer (RIP), 22.5 Master-Touch, Ez-Que, Smokinator 1000, Mini-WSM, SJG, CGA, Keep on Turning rotisserie for kebabs.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
It's an interesting concept, but...

This is not directed at you but in general.

People get ideas to make something that does one thing really well, but it is a limited market, not only because there are only a few people that would want to use it, or need to use it, but also because sometimes there are other ways to accomplish the same or very similar results.

M.N.Tolmachoff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 05:37:47 PM »
I get it, but if you want to turn some meat, this thing is awesome. Lamb, beef and chicken, maybe pork if that's your thing. I looked at some alternatives, but this was the best and great customer service too.

People get ideas to make something that does one thing really well, but it is a limited market, not only because there are only a few people that would want to use it, or need to use it, but also because sometimes there are other ways to accomplish the same or very similar results.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 09:29:00 AM »
I get it, but if you want to turn some meat, this thing is awesome. Lamb, beef and chicken, maybe pork if that's your thing. I looked at some alternatives, but this was the best and great customer service too.

I appreciate your point of view, but my point was only about the product being commercially viable. I'm looking at the product as something that would be useful for me personally. I already have a few of these; http://www.grillpro.com/accessory.php?category=2&type=4&part=41338  and I don't use them much just because I don't make kebabs more than a few times a year.