Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Salt-Baked Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Chive Butter  (Read 4571 times)

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
Salt-Baked Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Chive Butter
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
I saw this on the Amrerican Test Kitchen and had to try it.  This is my second attempt (I forgot the wrap the pan with foil the first time and it let the moisture out).  They used rosemary but I used chives.

Kosher or table salt can be used in this recipe. The salt can be strained to remove solid bits and reused for this recipe. The potatoes can be prepared without the roasted garlic butter and topped with other garnishes such as sour cream, chives, crumbled bacon, and/or shredded cheese.

INGREDIENTS
•   2 1/2cups salt
•   4 russet potatoes , scrubbed and dried (I used two)
•   2sprigs plus 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (I used chives)
•   1whole garlic , outer papery skin removed and top quarter of head cut off and discarded
•   4teaspoons olive oil
•   4tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Spread 21/2 cups salt in even layer in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Gently nestle potatoes in salt, broad side down, leaving space between potatoes. Add rosemary sprigs and garlic, cut side up, to baking dish. Cover baking dish with foil and crimp edges to tightly seal. Bake 11/4 hours; remove pan from oven. Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees.
2. Carefully remove foil from baking dish. Remove garlic and set aside to cool. Brush exposed portion of each potato with 1 teaspoon oil. Return uncovered baking dish to oven and bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife and skins are glossy, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, once garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic, butter, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (or pinch table salt) and minced rosemary to smooth paste. Remove any clumped salt from potatoes (holding with kitchen towel if necessary), split lengthwise, top with portion of butter, and serve immediately.

This is the setup photo.  I'll add the results upon completion.  I had to crack open the top to get the temp up to 450* (I over shot a bit).  These will be served with some filets in an hour and a half or so.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:41:38 PM by bama bbq »

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
Re: Salt-Baked Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Chive Butter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »
Here I unwrapped the potatoes after an hour and 15 minutes. 

We made garlic butter with the roasted garlic to put on the bread and potatoes.

I brushed the spuds with olive oil, and put them back in the Kettle at 500* for another 15-20 min and served them with a filet and cilantro lime buttered corn.  My piece of bread got a little toasty but despite that it was MMM MMM Good!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:32:00 PM by bama bbq »

michael w

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
I'll have to say the salt baked potatoes are the bomb...

P.S. Thats one of them Walmart steaks they suck.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:31:28 PM by michael w »
Some kettles, couple smokey joes, a preformer, 18" WSM and the wifes Q300.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »
Hey Bama...that looked like it turned out pretty good!!!!  So, Michael...those are the same WalMart steaks they promote so heavily on MasterChef??  You didnt care for them?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

michael w

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
I think so Jeff, Kroger meat case is about good as it gets around here.
Some kettles, couple smokey joes, a preformer, 18" WSM and the wifes Q300.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
I tried the Sal-Baked Potato last week and I have to say, it was the best baked potato I have ever had. I've never been a huge fan of baked potatoes because they are always dry. Well, this will be my method from now on. I also found it by watching Americas Test Kitchen.

I'm still learning to cook with charcoal so I did mine in the oven. I'll work myself up to that.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-