Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not a charcoal grill but need advise  (Read 665 times)

WMT

• WKC Brave
Not a charcoal grill but need advise
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
I know this is not a weber related topic but I need some professional advice. I am building a simple electric smoker out of a filing cabinet to smoke home made sausage and other stuff. It will be a simple concept to start with which will use a standard electric hotplate and pan for the heat and smoke generation. The cabinet will be insulated and skinned on the inside. Would there be any safety issue with using aluminum for the inside skin. Max temps would never be over 250 degrees, if even that. I can't see any issues with it as aluminum cooking pots and pans have been around for a long time, not to mention I wrap my ribs and brisket with aluminum foil everytime I cook them, but I thought I would ask the question just to make sure.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Not a charcoal grill but need advise
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:54 AM »
I can't think of any reason for not using aluminum
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:13:21 AM »
I can't see any issues with it as aluminum cooking pots and pans have been around for a long time

Lots of people wont use aluminum cookware as some believe it can be pretty harmful.  I've always been told there could be a link to dementia.  Could just be old wives' tales though. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 06:21:24 AM »

I can't see any issues with it as aluminum cooking pots and pans have been around for a long time

Lots of people wont use aluminum cookware as some believe it can be pretty harmful.  I've always been told there could be a link to dementia.  Could just be old wives' tales though.

I’m in trouble if I’m getting any aluminum from beer cans

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
I would just be concerned about what the cabinet was made or and painted with as it was never designed to be a food safe container.  I would think a food safe metal barrel or old propane tank would be a better option to work with if you want to make something yourself.

Maybe I just don't see the same vision as you though. The barrel smoker would probably be pretty easy because so many things would fit with it or be available for application.  Not to mention countless how to videos and posts.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:05:28 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
Yeah the paint on the inside of the filing cabinet has crossed my mind also. I already have a UDS that I rarely use since I got my mastertouch, so suppose I could convert to electric but I don't think it would hold the amount of sausage I make at one time. While doing some research on the net last night I found lots of beautiful smokers made out of wood. I am very impressed with some of the designs. Plus wood already has somewhat of an insulating factor and would be super easy to work with. Being that the temperatures will be low it is something I am seriously considering.