Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Genesis 2000 Redhead Restoration  (Read 7837 times)

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis 2000 Redhead Restoration
« on: September 16, 2019, 05:17:38 AM »
Picked this redhead up for $20 on CL with a full propane tank. Completely disassembled everything and started from scratch. New wood, finished lightly with spar urethane. All the parts I purchased are in the last 2 pictures. There are 2 finishing touches not pictured. I taped off and sprayed matte high heat paint on the Weber emblem, then sanded the face to clean it up. I couldn't get the locking nut things to release from the inside to remove the emblem. Worked great. I removed the less expensive Weber grill grates and now have 4 17.5" GrillGrates which are out of this world. This grill puts out a ton of heat, heats quickly, and performs like new. All in I spent $319 + $20 for a total of $339. Hope to give it to my kids one day, seriously.

I had a 2018 Weber Spirit E-310 and there is no comparison. This ol' redhead is amazing.

These are pretty easy to find, if you have any questions I can try and help you out. Big thanks to all the resources on this forum. Big thanks to Weber. The fact that you can buy 25+ year old parts is incredible. Really made the process more fun less frustrating.

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Genesis 2000 Redhead Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:20:04 AM »
Picked this redhead up for $20 on CL with a full propane tank. Completely disassembled everything and started from scratch. New wood, finished lightly with spar urethane. All the parts I purchased are in the last 2 pictures. There are 2 finishing touches not pictured. I taped off and sprayed matte high heat paint on the Weber emblem, then sanded the face to clean it up. I couldn't get the locking nut things to release from the inside to remove the emblem. Worked great. I removed the less expensive Weber grill grates and now have 4 17.5" GrillGrates which are out of this world. This grill puts out a ton of heat, heats quickly, and performs like new. All in I spent $319 + $20 for a total of $339. Hope to give it to my kids one day, seriously.

I had a 2018 Weber Spirit E-310 and there is no comparison. This ol' redhead is amazing.

These are pretty easy to find, if you have any questions I can try and help you out. Big thanks to all the resources on this forum. Big thanks to Weber. The fact that you can buy 25+ year old parts is incredible. Really made the process more fun less frustrating.
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:21:10 AM »

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:22:00 AM »

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 05:41:28 AM »
That's a RRR at it's finest !! grate work !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
Wow! Nice find, and nicely done! My dad had one for a long time, then it was suddenly replaced by a Traeger several years ago. I've just made the change back to charcoal after a decade-plus on an alternate-brand LP grill. Considering the low cost on some of these, I'm kind of tempted to seek one out for nostalgic reasons. Thanks for the great project photos!

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
Looks amazing. You did a fantastic job! What kind of wood did you use for your slats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
It was higher grade pine. The low grade stuff was really warped. The dimensions were 1.5” width, .75” height, cut to 15.25” length. Home Depot had 8’ boards of 1.5”x0.75”, so I just had to cut to length and lightly finish with spar urethane. The best part about it is that all of the boards were the exact same size. The Weber 2000 has three top sections, and two larger bottom sections. The frames have different widths so they take more or less boards, but the lengths were all the same. For me, The woodwork took the longest and was the least enjoyable. I used spray Spar urethane from Home Depot. Kinda pricey but way more convenient. Not sure that was the best finishing option but it turned out great with some patience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Mine used same size slats...just less of them. I used mahogany for mine. Wanted something that would last another 20 years being exposed to the weather.

Looking for MBH 26

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
Mahogany! Awesome choice. I went the other way and thought I could just replace them in a few years if they start getting nasty. Generally keep it covered so we’ll see. In reality I’m off to the mill to get some mahogany :-)

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »
Mahogany! Awesome choice. I went the other way and thought I could just replace them in a few years if they start getting nasty. Generally keep it covered so we’ll see. In reality I’m off to the mill to get some mahogany :-)

Lol! I had some scraps left over from another project which is why I chose mahogany. If I had to go buy some wood, I’m not sure I would have picked mahogany due to the price.

Looking for MBH 26

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
Excellent work.

okgriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
Nice work! What condition were your frames in for the wood slats? I'm new around here, but I've got an 1100 Redhead in the works and I hope it looks this nice when done! Debating whether to refurb the wood it came with or buy all new. Also would consider buying new frames for the slats if i can find the right buy. First I'm working over a Silver A Craigslist find, and I also have a black Silver B I picked up for $15 off CL that will likely be turned into a wood slat tabletop/cart to match the redhead. These old gas grills are great.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:59:02 PM by okgriller »

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »
She's a beauty!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 03:10:37 AM »
Nice work! What condition were your frames in for the wood slats? I'm new around here, but I've got an 1100 Redhead in the works and I hope it looks this nice when done! Debating whether to refurb the wood it came with or buy all new. Also would consider buying new frames for the slats if i can find the right buy. First I'm working over a Silver A Craigslist find, and I also have a black Silver B I picked up for $15 off CL that will likely be turned into a wood slat tabletop/cart to match the redhead. These old gas grills are great.

Your redhead turned out really nice!

I have 2 different tables I'm working on currently, with side burners. I havent had time to finish them though. Here's a pic of one of them