Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unauthorized vent adjustment at tailgate  (Read 979 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Unauthorized vent adjustment at tailgate
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
We tailgated at ball state with my daughter and her friends and their parents.

The 26 got the call as usual. My favorite portable grill.

It was the weirdest thing. I would leave the grill awhile and come back to find my bottom one touch completely closed and top vent cracked. This happened 4 times!  I never did catch the vent adjusting bandit in the act lol. Nothing was burning or being over cooked to cause such an action.  Anyways, it all worked out.

Puppy came with us to keep on eye on the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Unauthorized vent adjustment at tailgate
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
Ahhh, the much feared Vent Villan... gotta watch for that bastage!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »
You never touch another man’s vents. It’s like messing with his stereo—it’s just something you don’t do!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 03:44:06 AM »
did the ref throw any penalty flags or did they miss it each time ? LOL 26 is my favorite go everywhere grill too
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 05:39:37 AM »
Those darn vent touchers! I always have people adding two pounds of charcoal mid cook when I walk away for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:43:20 AM by DaveG74 »
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »
I've never heard of such b.s. at a tailgate before.  Who messes around with another group's food?   Surprised your neighbors weren't looking out for you?

I'm a bears fan, but I wouldn't sabotage a packer fan's grill. So dumb that you have to have someone stand guard nowadays to prevent people from messing with your stuff, but that's where we're at.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »

I've never heard of such b.s. at a tailgate before.  Who messes around with another group's food?   Surprised your neighbors weren't looking out for you?

I'm a bears fan, but I wouldn't sabotage a packer fan's grill. So dumb that you have to have someone stand guard nowadays to prevent people from messing with your stuff, but that's where we're at.

I don’t think it was malicious. They would have closed the top vent completely if that was the case. I don’t know if it was someone with our group or not. It wasn’t a huge deal but just kind of peculiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
You know the Ball State tailgating environment better than I do -- I'd hate to think it was friendly fire!

Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:45:05 AM »
If it was only the bottom vent, I would have guessed it was the puppy bumping it while taking a sniff. It would be quite a feat for it to adjust the top vent, though.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
Someone wanted you to go a little lower and slower! I wouldnt leave my grill unattended in public though. Because of weirdos

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »
Haha it was probably a kid. Or a drunk guy acting like one.
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.