Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Brewing  (Read 2312 times)

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
Beer Brewing
« on: September 14, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
No grilling today. But I'm brewing beer instead!

Anyone else enjoy brewing beer?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beer Brewing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
Yes sir! I see you're doing a Kolsch, what else do you like to brew? I'm big on stouts, porters and sours. Like that grain rig!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
I just started brewing again after a 25 year hiatus. Started in March and this is batch #11 for the year. If those 11 Ive had like 4 or 5 kolsches. Love them! Beer flavored beer is my usual hahah. I think I'll try an ipa next. Got a full bag of 2 row just waiting for me

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »
Yes brewing is also on of my hobbies!
At the mo I’m about to shift from bottles to barrels.
I’m still missing some gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:32 AM »
Kegging is soooo much better than bottling! I just started legging about 3 or 4 batches ago and couldn't be happier about not dealing with so many bottles. So much quicker to package and clean up!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 05:51:00 AM »
Another home brewer here (albeit on hiatus). Not much time with my kids running around. I used to make extract batches that would beat out my buddy’s all-grain stuff. In fact, I made a partial boil all extract Belgian Single that took 2nd in the State of California in the entire Belgian category.

Oh yeah...I hate bottling too. [emoji3]

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »
Haha nothing wrong at all with extract brewing! You can knock a brew out very quickly that way. It's all about your process and maintaining cleanliness and sanitation.

It's all grain, and only a small local community pool fundraiser, but I was super excited to win second place at our brew-bq[emoji16]

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
That’s rad!

If you have super fresh extract you can make some great beer. Below is my ribbon hanging out in my garage. I was honored to take 2nd in the State out of so many different types of Belgian beers.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 02:55:06 AM »
Very cool!

The brew I did on Saturday.... Finished up and pitched yeast between 3 and 4 or so. I used some harvested yeast from a previous batch and it's a Voss Kveik strain from Omega Yeast Labs. By 10 o'clock that same evening there was already a half an inch of krauzen and the airlock was bubbling away like mad!

I love these kveik yeast strains - they'll chew through a batch in 3 or 4 days, can be dramtically underpitched (say something silly like a teaspoon's worth of yeast in a 5-gallon batch) and best of all, can ferment at 100+ degrees without any off flavors.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 02:56:16 AM »
This is less than 7 hours after pitching

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:57:48 AM by FuriousHobbit »

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 06:08:17 AM »
Kegging is soooo much better than bottling! I just started legging about 3 or 4 batches ago and couldn't be happier about not dealing with so many bottles. So much quicker to package and clean up!

Yes, definite time saver.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »
Another home brewer here (albeit on hiatus). Not much time with my kids running around. I used to make extract batches that would beat out my buddy’s all-grain stuff. In fact, I made a partial boil all extract Belgian Single that took 2nd in the State of California in the entire Belgian category.

Oh yeah...I hate bottling too. [emoji3]

Nothing wrong with a good extract beer.

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 05:23:02 PM »
Homebrewer here![emoji1327]‍♂️
Thats my other addiction besides bbq!

This was a mango hard cider i brewed. Recipe called for a pound of mango. I used two cause im excessive like that[emoji16]
Turned out really good!