Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Old SS performer  (Read 2969 times)

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
New Old SS performer
« on: September 13, 2019, 06:52:39 PM »
Hey all. First post. Just found this SS performer on CL. Believe it or not, it has never been fired up! Score!
1989 Weber Kettle 22"

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Old SS performer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
Welcome from just outside Chicago, IL! Fire it up and grill something!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:12:33 AM »
Sweet score! Now fire it up and get cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
Never been fired up!  Grate score.  Welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »
There's a first time for every thing.  Can't wait to see pics.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 04:49:43 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. sweet score
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:47:39 AM »
Hey all. First post. Just found this SS performer on CL. Believe it or not, it has never been fired up! Score!

Grate score!

M635_Guy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 06:26:09 PM »
Congrats - that's a great score.  Greetings from another noob

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
Here it is. Reverse seared ribeye. Still not sure whether to get the slow n sear or just make due. I have a gasser 1993 Weber genesis 2000 that I refinished. Replaced the grates with GrillGrates, it’s a beast now. Am I missing something? Seems way easier to reverse sear using the performer charcoal to get the steaks to 110-115, I can heat up the Genesis 2000 in the meantime and have it seared without having to reset the performer charcoal etc.

I tried to do the whole reverse sear cold grate thing tonight 100% on the performer and it was hectic to say the least. Grates didn’t spin, I dropped the grates trying to pick them up with tongs. My kids are hanging at my legs asking WTF are you doing daddy. [emoji23]. “Trying not to kill us or burn the dang house down”!

Maybe I’m a mainstream noob but I like the sear marks that the GrillGrates give. There is enough radiant heat in the valleys that’s the whole steak has color, just not as consistent as I’ve seen on ABC’s YouTube vids.

(Walter Sobchak voice) “Am I wrong?”

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 05:38:49 AM »
I would eat that steak in a second, my first few reverse sear's weren't the best, you will perfect it I'm sure
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

whaascarson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
I just did a pretty close variation of the adrenaline barbecue company meatloaf video from YouTube. I did meatballs instead of meatloaf. Used onion powder garlic powder instead of those exact ingredients as I didn’t have them handy. I have to tell you I’m really getting the hang of this kettle. Using Royal Oak lump this time With cherry wood chips. I think I like that better than briquettes.   

1989 Weber Kettle 22"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 02:16:50 AM »
looks good

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New Old SS performer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 03:39:22 AM »
That’s a funny story about the cold grate technique. I agree with you. I don’t mind grill marks and the entire steak still gets seared. I’ve never bothered with trying the cold grate because it never made sense to me but I’ve been wrong before too. Your steak looks great! 

Ive tried a few different techniques and they all work. Sous vide, sear first, sear last, all direct, smoked, caveman, Santa Maria-ish.

They are all slightly different but I loved them all and it’s fun to experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 03:50:34 AM »
That’s a funny story about the cold grate technique. I agree with you. I don’t mind grill marks and the entire steak still gets seared. I’ve never bothered with trying the cold grate because it never made sense to me but I’ve been wrong before too. Your steak looks great! 

Ive tried a few different techniques and they all work. Sous vide, sear first, sear last, all direct, smoked, caveman, Santa Maria-ish.

They are all slightly different but I loved them all and it’s fun to experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I agree, the fun part is the change up of cooks, challenging your skills and then eating a grate steak. What's not to love about that

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Welcome from Highland Park, IL (north of Chicago)! Love the diving right in - that's the only way to do it.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again