Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One-Touch mod  (Read 3024 times)

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
One-Touch mod
« on: September 12, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Okay, not really a “modification”, but I was doing a reasonable clean to the inside of my kettle, and changed out the corroded One-Touch blades. I rotated the mounting ring for the ash catching system 1/3 clockwise when I installed the new parts in hopes of easier access to the handles underneath. I’m about 6’2 (188cm) and found it awkward to reach and operate the handles in the original location. I haven’t tried it yet, but has anyone else done this with better results?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: One-Touch mod
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:11:02 AM »
What green is that? I like it

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
What green is that? I like it

Yeah, thanks. I like it, and it's been growing on me even more. It seems that it was just called "Green" in the Crate&Barrel catalog, but I've also seen it referred to as, "Grass Green", and I think, "Leaf Green".

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:28:30 AM »
It looked darker than a crate & barrel in the pics but not as dark as the dark green is why I asked. I want a crate &barrel really bad

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the pics are in a shadow with a brighter background.

candylineup

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:30:00 PM »
It looked darker than a crate & barrel in the pics but not as dark as the dark green is why I asked. I want a crate &barrel really bad

We have the same color performer as pictured from Crate and Barrel (we love it). They later came out with a darker green color, possibly coinciding with metal table on the performer. I'm guessing ours is about 10 or so years old, I'll have to get try to confirm that somehow.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 05:28:23 AM »
I think this is a great idea. When I finally replaced the corroded sweeper blades and added a mounting ring/ash catcher on my 2008 kettle, I made sure that the handles faced me from my "normal" grilling stance.  I didn't want to have to go around the other side or be bothered with moving the kettle just to reach the handles.  I'm a creature of habit, and I like facing my grill the way I do, so anything I can do to ensure I can keep the grill where it is, the better.  I'm sure one day I'll have the guts/time to build a decent side table, but for now, I like things the way they are. Good luck!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 06:16:11 AM »
I have done this to my Performers too.
Besides making the sweeps and bucket more accessible for tall users, it also helps us lefties reach the handles!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
I don't have a performer unfortunately, but i got a used 22 kettle that had the handle for the clean out on the left side instead of the right. I found that the sweep wasn't far enough in either direction to actually clear the fallen ashes so I moved it back to the right. Maybe reshaping the bent wire vent/cleaning handle would address that though.

I'm cross dominant in handedness, and the left side of the front would actually be my preference too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
I don't have a performer unfortunately, but i got a used 22 kettle that had the handle for the clean out on the left side instead of the right. I found that the sweep wasn't far enough in either direction to actually clear the fallen ashes so I moved it back to the right. Maybe reshaping the bent wire vent/cleaning handle would address that though.

I'm cross dominant in handedness, and the left side of the front would actually be my preference too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

It might be a good idea to start over with a new sweep kit. When it's assembled, you follow numbers 1, 2, and 3 that are embossed on the blades, and everything lines up. From there I was able to put it in the bowl the way I wanted. The previous owner may have really hacked up the whole assembly on yours beyond reasonable repair. Check Amazon for a replacement kit. I think they're usually under $20.USD.