Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Starting a Restoration...  (Read 1575 times)

Sparepart

• Happy Cooker
Starting a Restoration...
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:16:32 PM »
Starting the restoration of our long serving Weber Genesis 3000 (green cover) with the side burner   Since the serial number tag is long gone, I'm guessing it's late 1990 vintage as the work table and bottom shelf are gray durawood.

Was a curb find 5 years ago, and so far it's only needed burners and flavorizers.  However, the top frame is showings it's age with a rust hole or two.

Since the factory parts are NLA, the plan was to find a donor or two curbside & fire up the MIG welder.    Before I cut up otherwise serviceable frames for material, is there anyone making aftermarket frame parts for the Genesis 3000 with the side burner ?

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
Re: Starting a Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:21:16 AM »

Sparepart

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
Thanks interesting approach - the tube that also makes up the front top rail also has a rust hole, so I'm going to have to weld that as well. 

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
You may want to look for an cheap old 1000 for a donor.  That top "H" frame that surrounds the firebox is the same as the
one on your 3000.  I have done this a couple of times. 

Sparepart

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
I matched the right-hand side (which was chewed up around the bolt holding the fierbox) from one of the donor frames and welded that today. 
The left-hand side (which has the side burner) has significant rust damage at the corner of the firebox.  So far, I have struck out on finding one to use.