Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 22 gaskets/sealing  (Read 3523 times)

mattsat

• Happy Cooker
Weber 22 gaskets/sealing
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
Hey everyone, new guy here so go easy on me!

I've had a performer for a few years now and am finally getting around to sealing up the leaks on it. Could you guys chime in on your favorite or the best gaskets for the lid? Also I'm all ears for any other suggestions for sealing up the kettle. If this is posted somewhere already, maybe you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber 22 gaskets/sealing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:21 AM »
I think a lot of guys would just use it until it builds up a layer of grease/grime on the rim that will create somewhat of a seal. 

I thought about doing something similar to mine, but realized it would eventually just wear down, get filthy, or need replaced.  Unless you are doing some serious smoking you probably don't need to worry about a little bit of smoke leakage in my opinion so long as it isn't a big open hole that needs plugged.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:17:37 AM »
Exactly. Some leaking isn’t a big deal. Let the grease build up and just keep cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
I used a Lava Lock on a used Kettle I bought for $40 as the lid was leaking in several spots, probably bent a bit.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/first-new-thread/msg419227/#msg419227

I used this plus the silicone they sell, I now have no smoke leak around the lid.  I predominantly use my kettle with a snake for long cooks...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO00S04/?coliid=I15SFW30TZV5P4&colid=8136ZGGR1XZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRLELK0/?coliid=I2YJ9XKA5PAQKU&colid=8136ZGGR1XZE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
As hellfiregrill would say “it’s a grill not a submarine!”

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
I use large binder clips, they work great. You see I too had smoke coming out between the lid and bowl until I slapped one, two, or seven of them bad boys on it sealed the grill right up.
They're cheap, easy on/easy off and fashionable.

Order in the next 60 minutes and we DOUBLE your order for the price of one.

BUT WAIT THAT'S NOT IT!

Order in the next 5 minutes and you will receive a deluxe binder clip set at no additional charge... 3 SETS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!!

O R D E R
N O W!!!

Ha just kidding but yeah the binder clips worked great for me give them a try.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »
As hellfiregrill would say “it’s a grill not a submarine!”

:)

I've been cooking on Weber kettles since God created dirt, and NEVER had any issues with lid leak. Let the grease do its thing. No worries.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:57 AM »
I recently installed a lava-lock gasket on my 15-year old 22" kettle lid, and I've been pumped with the results (zero leaks).  If you go this route, be sure to take the necessary time/effort to clean your lid rim all the way to the porcelain so that the gasket self-stick adhesive has a clean surface on which to adhere to.

One other thing to keep in mind -- my kettle lid has the built-in hook that's used to hang the lid off the side of the bowl. The gasket thickness is such that when the lid hangs off the bowl, the edges of the bowl that would have come into contact with the lid edge now come into contact with the gasket.  So if you have such a lid and you want to install a lid gasket, I wouldn't recommend leaving the lid hanging off the side of the bowl for an extended period of time as it could potentially leave two little "dents" in the gasket, effectively creating two little gaps in the gasket itself. Truthfully, these would likely be negligible, but it's just something I noticed.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again