Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me 22 WSM advice on items to get  (Read 7493 times)

Cloudbuster

• Happy Cooker
New to me 22 WSM advice on items to get
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
Hi,

I recently got a used 22 WSM and don’t have any mods/updates.

I think the 1st one should be the charcoal grates.
Would the Weber 7441 17” be the one to get?
What could I use to connect the grates to the charcoal ring to be 1 piece.

It don’t have the thermometer probes hole.
Would the standard be the big rubber grommet or would this also work https://www.cajunbandit.com/product/cajun-bandit-3-8-bbq-sensor-grommets/

The big door is not in great shape so I would get the Cajun bandit stainless one. Should I get the one with the latch? Or reuse the old latch seem to be working.

Meat hanging rings.
Anyone have experience with the Hunsaker rib hangar, Lavalock or Gateway version.
I am pretty sure I would not do more than 5 racks, 1 to 2 I say be the normal.
It seem with the lavalock it be easier to have the meat toward the center but not sure if for meat hanging they have to be as close to the center.

Sorry for long post,

Thank you.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:06:41 AM »
Congrats on your 22” WSM, they’re amazing and very versatile cookers.  Try to get a few “stock” cooks under your belt before modding to get a baseline to which you can compare your future upgrades.

The OEM WSM charcoal grate is 63014.  The 7441 grates are for the 22” kettles, however I’ve been using two perpendicular 7441 grates wedged inside the WSM’s charcoal ring for shaking out ash and easy removal.  Tight fit inside the ring, but once they’re in there, they’re not coming out.  Because the 7441 is smaller in diameter than 63014, it’ll sit lower in the bowl.

I have a Gateway hanger and love the added versatility.  If you’re concerned about centering your hanging meats over the coals, you could experiment with placing a smaller sized charcoal ring inside to conserve fuel and still obtain high temps.

Get the CB latch if you’re getting the SS door.  There’s a 10% sale going on now.  The CB door is pretty much obligatory.  The stock door and latch are shit, sorry, Weber, but you know it’s true.  While I’m spending your money, I’d go ahead and take advantage of the 10% discount and combined shipping and order the Unknown BBQ Hinge.  It’s not completely necessary, but OMG, so much more convenient. 

Most importantly, have fun with your WSM and post pics along the way. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:08:37 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Cloudbuster

• Happy Cooker
Re: New to me 22 WSM advice on items to get
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks,

That good to know that they fit super tight so no need to look for something to hold them in place.
Was not aware it could be used like that without the big grate to have the whole thing sit lower.

I just left HD and only grabbed one gotta go back and get a second one 7441.

For the meat hanger I thought that if you only have a few it was better to have them as center as possible.
No rotation would be needed as they should heat more evenly, but it seem that might not be the case.
As you have it as well it seem is more popular I would get the Gateway hanger then.

I would follow your advice and place a order I would add the wheels too not sure if the middle section latch is needed but probably good to prevent separation.

I started it to see how much it leaked smoke I would get the gasket for the lid as well.
And then it started raining could not move the WSM :-).
I might get the harbor freight $60 cart for it later.

With the over $200 saving by getting it used I could get the items and not feel to bad.

Thanks.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
The charcoal grates are good, but I agree with Charlie about the Unknown BBQ hinge. Makes cooking so much more manageable.

Casters are good too. Gaskets are meh...you’ll never make it airtight. I have a gasket around my 22WSM door and it still gives off wisps of smoke. If that bothers you maybe a drum or Kamado would be a better option?

Another trick instead of the rubber grommet probe hole would be to notch the lip of the center section to run probe wires.

The Gateway hanger is really good. Target used to sell them via Gateway for a little cheaper and free shipping. I prefer the PBC hooks over the stock gateway ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cloudbuster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 09:18:03 AM »
Thanks.

I ordered the hinge kit.
Also ordered the gasket well let see if it eliminated at least 70% that would be something.

I ended ordering the lavalock rib hangar if I knew target had the gateway I would have ordered it and save on shipping.

I already ordered the silicone grommets for the probes. Should be here today.

Not sure if I should start another topic.
Anyone using ceramic briquettes on the water pan.
If you do do you cover them or leave them open to collect drippings.
Or put something like this on top https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE6NBTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DdDTDb65XJYER

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:44:53 AM »
You would definitely want to cover them, I used a pampered chef ceramic bowl inside my water pan, and wrap it and the original pan with foil, I need to get wider foil, or a pan that fits to catch drippings, caise it sucks when grease gets down in there

Cloudbuster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 07:28:38 AM »
Thanks,

I haven really used the WSM I would install the wheel, hinge today.

I just realized if I need to could I add the lid gasket after the hinge or the lid won’t sit correctly if I do that after.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 03:23:51 AM »
I wouldnt put a gasket on the lid, it will seal up with smoke and grease for sure, I have foil.crumpled along the edge of one of my way doors, some gasket would probably work there, but I should really just order some cajun bandit doors