Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me genesis silver  (Read 3443 times)

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
New to me genesis silver
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:42:30 AM »
My neighbor told me he got a new Weber grill for his birthday, so of course I asked what happened to the old one. He said it was 15 years old and he just wanted a new one so the old one was mine if I wanted it! Can’t beat free and not having to get the car dirty to pick it up.

He told me everything worked so I think this will just be an easy clean up. Cover, grates, and flavor bars are already ordered. My wife is excited to have a gas grill around finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Re: New to me genesis silver
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »
Very cool. Look forward to seeing it after you get it cleaned up and ready to cook [emoji3]

MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
Very cool. Look forward to seeing it after you get it cleaned up and ready to cook [emoji3]

Thanks I’m stoked. Did a quick clean to the outside with some Lysol wipes to kill the green stuff growing in it. I think it will come our real pretty.

Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »

Thanks I’m stoked. Did a quick clean to the outside with some Lysol wipes to kill the green stuff growing in it. I think it will come our real pretty.

Man! That’s looking great already!

Looking for MBH 26

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
Already looks great.  If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. 

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:46:31 AM »
Already looks great.  If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks Dave, I do have a quick question. On the exterior of the hood there is some sap or sticky wax substance. Can I use a razor blade like I would with my kettles or is this painted? Any suggestions on what to use?

Here are a few more before photos:

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:42 AM »
Same porcelain is used on gassers as kettles.

Razor blade is fine for removing the crusty stuff.

Just don't razor blade the aluminum parts of the cookbox or sides of the lid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:54:38 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
New to me genesis silver
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 03:22:25 PM »
cleaned up the lid and bowl enough to cook on. It won’t be a show piece but it will work. Went with stainless flavorizer bars from qulimetal. They seem pretty nice. Also did stainless Weber grate. I like stainless. I tested the starter and it has spark so that’s cool. I need to pick up a tank and I should be good to go.

Question for anyone that has experience. I found a green lid on craigslist but the guy isn’t around until Monday so I don’t know what he wants for it. What is a reasonable price for a lid? I was thinking of converting this to green to match my kettles.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Old grills such as this that need work and parts should be available for about $40 or less, and the things they, the cheaper they should be.
A grill such as yours, you would likely want to give about $25 or less for.  So use that as a guide.  If the lid is in nice shape, $25 would not
be out of line at all.  If you REALLY REALLY want that green lid, then the skies the limit. 

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
New to me genesis silver
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 10:46:22 AM »

The old genesis is alive. Baba ghanoush for the first cook.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:56:23 AM by Jtayres »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »
Looks like the beginning of many delicious cooks on a great old grill.

Looking for MBH 26

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »

The wife is happy to have a gas grill around. She’s making some summer seafood stew up.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Happy wife...happy life

Looking for MBH 26

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story. I love these old genesis. If the porcelain on the green one is good, I'd get it. You won't be disappointed. Check for fit though if it's only a two burner. I'm not sure they're interchangeable with the the burner. Maybe someone could come in on that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app