Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lanky Joe... Mini wsm?  (Read 1006 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Lanky Joe... Mini wsm?
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
I grabbed this redi-smok electric smoker for 10 bucks at a garage sale. I think these are still being sold, but under the Ol' Smokey brand name.  I took a wire wheel on the drill and knocked down some of the surface rust on the inside, cut a hole out of the bottom with a grinder and knocked off the paint on the bottom that was gonna now be inside the bowl of the Smokey Joe.

It fits the lid perfectly, and the bottom fits tight if you have it sitting right. I think the little lip on the bowl for the cook grate makes it a little less secure than I would like. I need to get some latches to hook the mid section to the bowl, but the ones that I would like are over 10 bucks a piece. Latches off of a masterbuilt cabinet would work perfectly, but they are 12 bucks a piece too. And I think having 3 of them would be the way to go. If anyone has experience latching things together feel free to share your knowledge.

I'm building this to give to my buddy, so I would like to keep the budget as low as possible, and I will drill into the Smokey Joe if I have to.

I was thinking just a couple bolts with a silicon o-ring or something to keep them together, Idk.

I had seached the internet for extra tall mini wsms but it seems most people just use the tamale pot. I know I saw a guy building one here with a piece of steel barrel.

Anyway here's a couple pics. Its taller than an 18 wsm. And taller then a 22 if you take the lids off lol.
I want to add bolts for a third rack towards the bottom too.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lanky Joe... Mini wsm?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
That is looking pretty cool. However, I would find a way to beef up the legs or add a base to make a the footing wider.  I would worry that one gust of wind could topple that stretch SJ over.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
I like it.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
That's awesome, you could mod that all day long!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »
I am seasoning it now. It seems to run right around 225 on this char griller therm, wide open. I tossed some corn and potatoes in there to go with dinner.

It seems like it would be pretty sturdy if I had some latches. But I wouldnt mind some wider legs

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Lanky Joe... Mini wsm?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »
Very cool. That would be perfect for hanging a few racks of ribs. I have a 16 gallon steel drum that I had intended to turn into a larger version of the tamale pot/SJ smoker, but I still haven’t gotten a roundtuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
Very cool. That would be perfect for hanging a few racks of ribs. I have a 16 gallon steel drum that I had intended to turn into a larger version of the tamale pot/SJ smoker, but I still haven’t gotten a roundtuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I thought about hanging too! I think I should be able to move the pan down to a 3rd level. You could do 3 decent chunks of meat.

I wanna make a little coal basket. My brother in law grabbed me a piece of scrap expanded metal.
Were you gonna put latches on yours?