Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sell Genesis II E-310 for Q 3200?  (Read 5958 times)

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
Sell Genesis II E-310 for Q 3200?
« on: June 05, 2020, 04:24:49 AM »
I've recently been thinking of selling my Genesis II E-310 for a Q 3200.    I have a kettle for weekend grilling, etc.

I mostly do grilling on the E-310 on weeknights when pressed for time and attention and I just don't love it, especially compared to my old Genesis 1000.  I have trouble getting it hot, but it's nice for medium and low temp cooks.

I'll be using it mostly to grill steaks, pork, veggies and fish for a family of 4.

Does anyone have experience between the two?

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
Re: Sell Genesis II E-310 for Q 3200?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:15:06 AM »
Welp.  Guess this was a nutty question.  Lol

I've recently been thinking of selling my Genesis II E-310 for a Q 3200.    I have a kettle for weekend grilling, etc.

I mostly do grilling on the E-310 on weeknights when pressed for time and attention and I just don't love it, especially compared to my old Genesis 1000.  I have trouble getting it hot, but it's nice for medium and low temp cooks.

I'll be using it mostly to grill steaks, pork, veggies and fish for a family of 4.

Does anyone have experience between the two?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RUonFire

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:16 PM »
I don't have experience with the 310 but,
I would say the main difference might be aesthetics. What looks better in your grill space?
I grill on the 3200 occasionally and it works ok.
I line the bottom with foil to make cleaning easy.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
Where are you located? I’m considering selling my Q320.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
Toronto, but I was mostly wondering if the Q is better than the e-310 before I even move on it.  I find the e-310 to be OK. 

Where are you located? I’m considering selling my Q320.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »
This is still helpful.  Thank you.

I don't have experience with the 310 but,
I would say the main difference might be aesthetics. What looks better in your grill space?
I grill on the 3200 occasionally and it works ok.
I line the bottom with foil to make cleaning easy.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 12:52:18 AM »
They are slightly different grills in the Q is more of a sear-based cooker as the heavy grate is places closed to the burner and it's meant to absorb the heat, then transfer that heat to the meat via conduction. The Genesis has those thick CI grates so you still get some of that conduction on top or radiant heat from the burner/flavorizer. Can you elaborate more on your temp issues? How hot does the grill actually get? Are you preheating it sufficiently? Did your Genesis 1000 have the dual layer flavorizer setup? If so, that firebox would retain heat better and you'll notice that it will cook "hotter". Long story short, I wouldn't get rid of the Genesis II E-310 for a Q3200. I think the build quality is crap on the Genesis II so personally I wouldn't hesitate to swap it for an older grill of higher quality. Where are you located? There are great deals to be had on old Genesis/Summits if you keep an eye out.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 03:25:30 AM »
Thanks for this.  I'm in Toronto, Canada.

I can get the 310 grill surface to about 500/550 (maybe) if it's very hot out, which is about 2-3 months per year.   The CI grates rusted out and so now I'm using SS with GrillGrates on top.   I haven't noticed much difference with CI and post-CI.   

The 310 does a nice job with chicken, pork, fish, veggies, and hot dogs and usually burgers.  I've made a whole turkey on it for Thanksgiving (ours, in October) and it held the temps very well. 

The 310 can't do seared steak or tuna or swordfish very well.

I wish I remembered or knew the specifics of the Genesis 1000 I had previously.  That was pre me discovering this wonderful world of Weber fanatics.

Now that I have a kettle for the weekends, this has become less of an issue for me, but it's still not my favorite BBQ.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in selling mine and getting something else, even older.
They are slightly different grills in the Q is more of a sear-based cooker as the heavy grate is places closed to the burner and it's meant to absorb the heat, then transfer that heat to the meat via conduction. The Genesis has those thick CI grates so you still get some of that conduction on top or radiant heat from the burner/flavorizer. Can you elaborate more on your temp issues? How hot does the grill actually get? Are you preheating it sufficiently? Did your Genesis 1000 have the dual layer flavorizer setup? If so, that firebox would retain heat better and you'll notice that it will cook "hotter". Long story short, I wouldn't get rid of the Genesis II E-310 for a Q3200. I think the build quality is crap on the Genesis II so personally I wouldn't hesitate to swap it for an older grill of higher quality. Where are you located? There are great deals to be had on old Genesis/Summits if you keep an eye out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:54:45 AM by DougWilsonsSlapper »