Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello! Restored the 18" kettle I bought way back in 2003.  (Read 3865 times)

acreative007

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hello! Restored the 18" kettle I bought way back in 2003.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
That's a sweet little grill and I love the side table. I've been wanting a 18" for a year, might just have to buy a new one.

Thanks! You should do it!

I wish the 18" did have a thermometer option from Weber but drilling isn't so bad.

acreative007

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
   Welcome from the nation's capital. What you need is a 26". Check Craigslist for free to cheap 22's to tide you over then when that 26 shows up jump on it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hi neighbor! I would love to see a 26" in person. I did find a 22" for $25 and almost bought it this week. I just wasn't up for another restoration just yet!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
Welcome!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
   Welcome from the nation's capital. What you need is a 26". Check Craigslist for free to cheap 22's to tide you over then when that 26 shows up jump on it.

Hi neighbor! I would love to see a 26" in person. I did find a 22" for $25 and almost bought it this week. I just wasn't up for another restoration just yet!
Easy Off and evapo-rust  are in my arsenal to deep cleaning a grill. Sanding a triangle is torture and you still miss the nooks and crannies. When you see a 26" in person you will fall in lust. If you have room for a 22" you have room for a 26".

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

acreative007

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »

Easy Off and evapo-rust  are in my arsenal to deep cleaning a grill. Sanding a triangle is torture and you still miss the nooks and crannies. When you see a 26" in person you will fall in lust. If you have room for a 22" you have room for a 26".

I'm going to check both of those products out. I've got some rust I left on the lip of the lid and also saw some on the leg socket welds/corners so it could use some more cleaning up. Very true on the triangle. I scraped best I could and still didn't get all of it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:44:55 PM by acreative007 »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
Welcome! Love the story!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »
Beauty kettle grate story!! welcome from Canada!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
Very cool story and a fantastic restore. Welcome from Melrose Park, ILL
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 06:18:04 PM »
That thing looks really nice! Welcome from kansas

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
I'll second the suggestion on the 26". It has all the features of the master touch but so much more real estate. I just got mine off Craigslist this month. Welcome from Northern Virginia

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

acreative007

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
I am happy to report that I've added a Spirit II E-310 to restore the gas grilling balance too. So far so good. I just added the iGrill3 today so looking forward to using it to keep a closer eye on meats. I also took the opportunity to buy their premium cover, a grill basket, new tools, and the long version of the Weber grill brush.

For the space, budget and foods I cook, this grill feels just right.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Nice find man. I only have one gasser a Q1200 but it works great for the wife and I but sadly I've not grilled anything in a while.

Did you get the IGrill and tools at Target? That stuff is 50% off at the ones here.

What's in the glass? Wine, champagne?[emoji16]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:04:02 PM by pancho2017 »

acreative007

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
Nice find man. I only have one gasser a Q1200 but it works great for the wife and I but sadly I've not grilled anything in a while.

Did you get the IGrill and tools at Target? That stuff is 50% off at the ones here.

It's Champagne! Good guess!!

I actually ended up buying everything but the grill cover and large wire brush at Amazon. I was impressed with how fast they shipped such a large, heavy package without issue. Normally I would pick something like that up, but I rolled the dice out of convenience. I was just sure to be home to help the delivery driver get it off the truck. It was 114lbs!

The cover, that was a fun one too. The day the grill came it was oppressively hot and humid, and we were expecting severe storms later in the evening. So I put the grill together and checked Home Depot's stock for the cover. It showed 8 in store but showed up to find just one, and the box was smashed up. It starts to get VERY dark outside and the manager said to open it up and make sure it's not damaged, and then checked it out for me at 75% off. I got home just in time to cover it before the sky let loose!

Hopefully you can grill more. I plan to grill through winter this year, especially if iGrill3 proves to be useful. Charcoal tastes best to me but there are times where I need to just hit a quick meal. I am still firing up the 18" kettle when I have more time. Most of the time it's chicken, koftes, lamb, and mostly Mediterranean foods. I think the next purchase now will be a smoker so I can learn that art and start trying long cooks on the weekends.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »

It's Champagne! Good guess!!

I actually ended up buying everything but the grill cover and large wire brush at Amazon. I was impressed with how fast they shipped such a large, heavy package without issue. Normally I would pick something like that up, but I rolled the dice out of convenience. I was just sure to be home to help the delivery driver get it off the truck. It was 114lbs!

The cover, that was a fun one too. The day the grill came it was oppressively hot and humid, and we were expecting severe storms later in the evening. So I put the grill together and checked Home Depot's stock for the cover. It showed 8 in store but showed up to find just one, and the box was smashed up. It starts to get VERY dark outside and the manager said to open it up and make sure it's not damaged, and then checked it out for me at 75% off. I got home just in time to cover it before the sky let loose!

Hopefully you can grill more. I plan to grill through winter this year, especially if iGrill3 proves to be useful. Charcoal tastes best to me but there are times where I need to just hit a quick meal. I am still firing up the 18" kettle when I have more time. Most of the time it's chicken, koftes, lamb, and mostly Mediterranean foods. I think the next purchase now will be a smoker so I can learn that art and start trying long cooks on the weekends.
I drink some Champagne every night lol.

You have a nice deck there them black grills really look sharp! I love that 18".

I was going to get a 2 burner Spirit last year but picked up a Q1200 that's plenty for the wife and I.
Mostly do frozen entrees on it, still a lot of fun and it keeps the heat out of the house. Even done some frozen entrees on the charcoal grill, takes the taste to to the next level.

Amazon has always been good to me them delivery drivers really have a hard job I know because I'm a delivery driver lol.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the cover and just in the knick of time. I keep my grills in the garage.

I don't know anything about the iGrill but I'm sure it will do a great job.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »
Enjoy the grills and the hobby. There's a Weber Kettle Club meet up happening in October in Alexandria if you can make it. Check the meet up forum for details.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app