Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Curing/smoking fresh hams  (Read 983 times)

FireJoe

• Smokey Joe
Curing/smoking fresh hams
« on: December 13, 2019, 06:12:26 AM »
I am looking to wet cure and smoke some hams for Christmas this year. I have seen some cures stating 15 min per pound and others stating 1-2 days per pound. I do not want to mess up my first batch of hams. I will be smoking them using my 22” WSM on all oak at 235 degrees. I am also doing a honey mustard and spice rub. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Curing/smoking fresh hams
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »
I'm curious about this as well. I'm sure you will get some great advice

FireJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 04:46:16 AM »
After much deliberation and research i am going with a 7 day wet cure with #1 pink salt and brown sugar, other salts and spices. I feel this will let the ham flavors develop more and also make for a better end product. I am also smoking with hickory and cherry chunks in a 1:2 ratio. I’ll post pictures this weekend when i smoke it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 05:16:10 AM »
I haven’t done one before but I would have done a practice run prior to Christmas.  Good luck. Let us know how it turns out and take some pictures if you get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:01:09 AM »
After much deliberation and research i am going with a 7 day wet cure with #1 pink salt and brown sugar, other salts and spices. I feel this will let the ham flavors develop more and also make for a better end product. I am also smoking with hickory and cherry chunks in a 1:2 ratio. I’ll post pictures this weekend when i smoke it.

That is about right where I am at for the brine time on 18-20 lbs, going to spin mine on the 22 with 80% plum 20% hickory if I can get away from work at a decent time ever. then a bourbon maple glaze for finishing up. It's all family so if I "f" it up it won't be the first time they have disowned me LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill