Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How I acquired the pimply assed old grill who thinks she is a star  (Read 850 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I was minding my own business one Sunday (fairly late), when @ReanimatedRobot texts me fairly late about something he found in Illinois.  The first photo in the listing is attached, but he said he saw something REALLY interesting in the second photo.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: How I acquired the pimply assed old grill who thinks she is a star
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
@ReanimatedRobot texts me the second photo & says you can just make out "DEMO" on the opposite side of the handle.  He indicated that if I wanted it, it was mine. 
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »
So, I messaged the seller fairly late on Sunday, wondering if I'll be first in line.  I say I'll buy it and ask when is he available, he says he'll be available the next day after a certain time.  I'm studying the two photos carefully & notice the silver on the wheels, which I assumed was paint.  This made me think that they had been over-sprayed when painting the legs, which only would make sense if they were steel, so I was super excited thinking it might be a Wood Dale to boot.

The grill was OVER 200 miles away and I asked the guy to shoot me an address, but he did not that night.  The next day, I checked multipl times & still no address and time kept ticking towards the hour that I'd have to leave to hope to make the arranged time, and all I knew was what city it was in.

I started wondering if he had finally gotten a flood of offers. 
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
The worst part was, that Monday morning, I checked the WKC and saw in the what should and should not be posted in online finds thread, which included this post.

And as for regulars black kettles...... Didn't one turn out to be a "demo"?   Only after getting there to pick up the grill and then found out it was a demo, correct?

I was like, OH SHIT, everyone has practically JUST BEEN REMINDED to check pictures, not just the first one.  So, I'm beginning to SWEATING wondering why the guy hasn't messaged me back.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 08:21:30 PM »
Just as I started to calm down a bit, I notice this post (actually, @ReanimatedRobot might have called it to my attention) which contained the SECOND photo in the listing AND IS STILL DON'T HAVE THE FREAKIN' ADDRESS!

THANKFULLY, it was one of our Aussie members so it wasn't like the location of the grill was pinpointed in any way for people to look, but I was still FREAKING!

So, in one way, I was SAVED by the first post because I was the "lucky buyer", but the first post was actually about a completely different situation.  (I think about @CatskillSmoker's NIB grill that turned out to be a DEMO). 

And as for regulars black kettles...... Didn't one turn out to be a "demo"?   Only after getting there to pick up the grill and then found out it was a demo, correct?
There was a black demo yesterday for $40 but thankfully I read this first and looks like there was a lucky buyer to this grill. I agree in making the lurkers find their own grills

Sent from my SM-N950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:42:17 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
As the time gets closer to when I am going to have to leave, I figure I've got to try flushing out the "I'm sorry, I'm going to keep it.  My sister-in-law's middle name is Demo & she wanted it." or whatever. 

So, I message the guy & said I'll need an address soon becomes I'm coming from fairly far (but I didn't say how far).  Eventually, I see that he has looked at the message, but hasn't responded yet.  I figured that there was a good chance he just didn't want me beating him home from work & stealing it or something.  So, eventually I jump in my car & start heading there.  I message him saying that I'll be leaving in a while & will check for an address as I get closer. 

I wound up driving for over two hours BEFORE even getting the address. 
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
In any event, this is why I say she's got a pimply old ass.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »
The silver on her wheels was duct tape.  She is a thumbscrew, early Arlington Heights grill.  I'll get some more pics to post. 
She's sitting in my garage, not cleaned & not put together. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:35:50 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »
By the way, the reason the wheel rubber was silver was NOT paint over-spray, but regular duct tape holding the rubber tires on the steel rims. 
regards,
Hal

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 05:10:42 AM »
Great score, and story!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:30:05 AM »
Very nice. Congrats on the score.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 04:19:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  I wouldn't have scored it without the tip from @ReanimatedRobot
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »
Thanks guys.  I wouldn't have scored it without the tip from @ReanimatedRobot.

It was really just luck.  Everything about the post indicated it was just another parts grill until you looked just a little bit closer.   You were far braver than I would have been to make the drive to get it so you earned it!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
At some point, I messaged him & said I was on my way & I could tell he saw it.  I figured that would hopefully jar loose any stories about selling to their sister-in-law, neighbor, or whatnot.  But, I was still wondering what do I do if I get there & still have no address.  How long do I hang around before making the trip back if I am completely ghosted. 
regards,
Hal