Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Black Bertl  (Read 1036 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Black Bertl
« on: July 31, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
I’m gonna start by clarifying that I don’t normally name my kettles.  However, the fella who alerted me to it, jokingly requested that I name it after him, so I decided on Black Bertl (sing it to Black Betty by Ram Jam).  As you likely guessed, Norbert is that fella.  In my overwhelmed laziness, do to hitting the 100+ kettles mark, I really haven’t been scanning the sites/apps much lately.  Luckily, I have someone who’s seven time zones ahead, finding me a sweet kettle 25mins. from my doorstep[emoji23].  Messaged the seller, and received no response for two days.  Figured it was gone, but thankfully I was wrong.  Messaging with the seller moved along slowly, but it all worked out in the end. 

[emoji3596] Black Bertl [emoji3596]

This kettle has some serious charm.  Nice even, light fade with just a touch of patina. It’s probably the cleanest kettle I’ve ever purchased, that wasn’t NIB.  Seller bought it brand new, used it often, and meticulously cared for it.  He looked like a parent sending their child into the world when I loaded it up & headed out with it.  Just look at the original cook grate, ash pan, and triangle after 50+ years of use:

Had two seized thumbscrews, which were easily remedied with PB Blaster & a touch of heat.   Bowl dampers were turned so many times over 50+ years, that they all came off at some point.  Seller reattached two of ‘em years ago, and I reattached the other right away. 

This acquisition came at a perfect time...just in time for the Chicago meet-up.  Brought ‘er along to be my cooker kettle. 

Thanks again Norbert ( @Bertl ).  Glad my 2,000th post could be about an enthusiastic, upstanding member...and a sweet kettle!!!
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Black Bertl
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:53:15 PM »
Congrats on both the grill and your 2000th post. That Norbert is a GRATE Grillfella!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »
Black Bertl had a...turtle....ram a lam?

Congrats on 2000 posts!

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
Bertl is a grate grillfella!  What a beautiful kettle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:32:27 AM »

Bertl is a grate grillfella!  What a beautiful kettle

Having met both Bertl and Black Bertl in person, I couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:01:09 AM »
Sweet cooker or looker if you ask me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:37:39 AM »
Tough old Texan.  I love it.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 04:45:09 AM »
Nice cooker right thar

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »
Dam that cooker is badass Mike! It was a pleasure to help a friend.
You guys out there should know Mike aka @brewtownbeatdown helped me ship and agent a ton of stuff overseas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Grate teamwork fellas
Dam that cooker is badass Mike! It was a pleasure to help a friend.
You guys out there should know Mike aka @brewtownbeatdown helped me ship and agent a ton of stuff overseas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
Congrats on 2000. What did he use to reattach the vents?  I’m blown away by that cook grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Black Bertl
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
Congrats on 2000. What did he use to reattach the vents?  I’m blown away by that cook grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looks like he used flared stove bolts, and double nutted them inside.  I’ll be switching ‘em to 1/4”-20 SS hex keyed screws with all metal lock nuts inside.  Gives it a rivet look, like so:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:34:50 PM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
Looks like he used flared stove bolts, and double nutted them inside.  I’ll be switching ‘em to 1/4”-20 SS hex keyed screws with all metal lock nuts inside.  Gives it a rivet look, like so:
[/quote]

You sir are a genius (or whoever you got the idea from is).  It looks like 3/4 inch long would be about right for an internal washer and double nuts.  Local hardware store doesn't have the hex keyed screws, but I am ordering them right now.  My yachtsman's rivets were trashed and while my Gourmet still has rivets on they are so rusted that two of them are hanging on by a thread. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Bam-ba-Lam...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need