Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1992 Redhead Genesis Firebox Misalignment?  (Read 2531 times)

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
1992 Redhead Genesis Firebox Misalignment?
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
Still working on restoring this beauty.

Noticed that the cover beneath the knobs and ignighter switch seems misaligned a half inch or so to the right.

Upon further investigation, it seems that the entire firebox is shifted about that far to the right.

Two telltales:

The far left hand bolt that goes from the frame into the left side of the firebox shows a half inch of threads between the side rail and the firebox.

And the cover under the knobs is too far right to attach the 2 Phillips screws that affix the cover to the far right hand frame crosspiece.

The two bolts in the middle of the firebox are snug and firmly attach the firebox to the frame.

Has anyone seen this before?

Might the frame holes for the middle of the firebox be misdrilled a bit to the right?

Could the firebox middle holes be misdrilled and tapped?

Some other crazy initial assembly problem by the first owner?

Perhaps I shouldn't care....but the practical outcome is the inability to screw down the cover beneath the knobs AND the igniter switch doesn't mesh well with the igniter beneath it.

All suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:18:29 AM by Andyinlz »

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Re: 1992 Redhead Genesis Firebox Misalignment?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:16:41 AM »
Maybe what appear to be two bolts in the middle of the firebox are merely to assemble the frame and do not go through to the firebox?

And only the left hand crossbar bolt affixes the firebox?

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:07:24 AM »
No advice?

Or did I figure this out myself?

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:36 AM »
Yup, it should just be 1 bolt on the left side and gravity that holds it in. Post a picture or two of what you have a question about and you will probably get more answers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
Still working on restoring this beauty.

Noticed that the cover beneath the knobs and ignighter switch seems misaligned a half inch or so to the right.

Upon further investigation, it seems that the entire firebox is shifted about that far to the right.

Two telltales:

The far left hand bolt that goes from the frame into the left side of the firebox shows a half inch of threads between the side rail and the firebox.

And the cover under the knobs is too far right to attach the 2 Phillips screws that affix the cover to the far right hand frame crosspiece.

The two bolts in the middle of the firebox are snug and firmly attach the firebox to the frame.

Has anyone seen this before?

Might the frame holes for the middle of the firebox be misdrilled a bit to the right?

Could the firebox middle holes be misdrilled and tapped?

Some other crazy initial assembly problem by the first owner?

Perhaps I shouldn't care....but the practical outcome is the inability to screw down the cover beneath the knobs AND the igniter switch doesn't mesh well with the igniter beneath it.

All suggestions welcome.

I have a 1996 redhead and their are no firebox bolts in the middle never seen that before.  There is one bolt on the left side 2 bolts on the right side which the manifold attaches to.  The control panel does not fit flush against the firebox you actually tilt it and it fits under the lip of the firebox where it meets the frame.  On the frame piece that holds the ignitor there should be 2 plastic bushings that when you tilt and place the control panel on spaces the right side of the panel a bit and you insert the screws on the outside of the control panel into those plastic bushings.  Pictures would help.

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:08:20 AM »
Well, the firebox was shifted to the right.

Kroiled up the rails, heaved on the firebox, and it slid to the left.

Everything now lines up nicely.

I will replace the missing nut/lockwasher in the firebox and continue the restoration.

Thanks for the help.

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »
Well, the firebox was shifted to the right.

Kroiled up the rails, heaved on the firebox, and it slid to the left.

Everything now lines up nicely.

I will replace the missing nut/lockwasher in the firebox and continue the restoration.

Thanks for the help.

You need to replace that bolt on the left side with a stainless bolt and washer nut inside the firebox.  I have had this happen before usually getting that bolt out on the left side is a nightmare but like you had one that I am doing over and the nut inside just rusted thru and broke off the end of the bolt inside. 

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
I did wind up replacing both the left hand side bolt and nut.

The bolt was badly corroded and had no useful threads to speak of.