Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Peruvian chicken recipe from the 2019 WKC Chicago meet up  (Read 3108 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Peruvian chicken recipe from the 2019 WKC Chicago meet up
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:45:11 AM »
This is roughly enough for 1 whole chicken, however, the original recipe used 4 cut up chicken legs. Ideally you should allow the chicken to marinate for 24 hours, but the chicken I made at the meet up was prepped that morning.

Recipe as prepped for the meet up is as follows:
3 TBS oil
4 cloves of fresh garlic chopped fine
juice of 2 limes
.5 TSP of salt per pound
1 TSP crushed oregano
1 TSP black pepper
2 TBSP paprika

Omissions and modifications:
2 TSP sugar (optional)
1 TSP ground cumin (optional)
substitute smoked salt and paprika, I also went heavier on the garlic and paprika.

Grill over high heat and preferably on an elevated grate. If using lump you'll need about 1.5-2 full chimneys for a 45 minute cook roughly, turn chicken every 10 minutes +/- to avoid burning it. I hope everybody enjoys the recipe and if you have any questions feel free to comment.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Peruvian chicken recipe from the 2019 WKC Chicago meet up
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »
Excellent... thanks for posting the recipe, @avega2792.  This was definitely a hit at the meetup.  Looking forward to cooking it myself!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 07:37:27 AM »
Excellent... thanks for posting the recipe, @avega2792.  This was definitely a hit at the meetup.  Looking forward to cooking it myself!

Thanks Bob BQ, that makes me really happy that everybody enjoyed it. I didn’t attend last year because I didn’t really have a specialty I felt worthy of such a fine and distinguished group of Weber enthusiasts. It was great meeting you, I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:38:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing the recipe! Do you grill it with the lid on or off?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:16:13 AM »

Thanks Bob BQ, that makes me really happy that everybody enjoyed it. I didn’t attend last year because I didn’t really have a specialty I felt worthy of such a fine and distinguished group of Weber enthusiasts. It was great meeting you, I hope you enjoy the recipe!
I am sure we all appreciate the recipe it is awesome. As far as a specialty goes, for me it's the camaraderie that these grills bring us. I love this gang and cherish the friendships gathered over these past 4 years
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
Sounds great!  Are the coals spread even and cook direct with chicken on elevated grate?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
So 1.5-2 chimneys preferably lump spread out evenly. My grill is hinged and I was able to drop the lid over the chicken to trap heat in, but traditionally the chicken is grilled on an open grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »

Sounds great!  Are the coals spread even and cook direct with chicken on elevated grate?

Yes, direct heat but on an elevated grate as pictured. The chicken juices and marinate will most definitely be flaring up so you don’t want it too close to the flame. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

Yes, direct heat but on an elevated grate as pictured. The chicken juices and marinate will most definitely be flaring up so you don’t want it too close to the flame. 

Ah I see. I do similar cooking on the wsm on top rack no water pan. Chicken direct at a distance is the most flavorful way imo. I’ll have to try that marinade.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »

Ah I see. I do similar cooking on the wsm on top rack no water pan. Chicken direct at a distance is the most flavorful way imo. I’ll have to try that marinade.

That’s the idea, but I don’t have a WSM big enough for that yet so I improvised.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:40:29 PM by avega2792 »

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »
This was some damn tasty yardbird. Loved your setup too. It was kool watching the cook from start to finish. I'll definitely be doing  this. Thanks for the recipe and the happy belly. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »
This was some damn tasty yardbird. Loved your setup too. It was kool watching the cook from start to finish. I'll definitely be doing  this. Thanks for the recipe and the happy belly. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Let me know how yours turns out ;)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »
@avega2792

Thanks for the recipe man!  Put it on the grill tonight and it turned out awesome!  Wife called it recipe quality.  I usually don't enjoy chicken on the grill so much but this was delicious.  Will definitely be cooking it again and I think when it is really cold this winter and I am craving it I am going to try it in the oven.  I actually marinated the chicken in a pyrex pan so it really would be just as easy and juicy in the oven. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 03:30:13 AM »
Whoa! Get outta here with that oven talk!