Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer grill grate insert  (Read 849 times)

Don-in-Vero

• Smokey Joe
Performer grill grate insert
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:32:02 AM »
Just got a new Performer, which has the removable center insert on the grill grate. Cooked three times on it and have a bit of a problem. Each time I take a brush to it, the center section falls out and ends up on top of the coals. Not too bad when cleaning a cold grate, but a real problem when the coals are hot. Any recommendations on how to handle this or is it just better to replace it with a single piece grill grate?

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
Re: Performer grill grate insert
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »
I'm in the same boat. The second time I had to fish mine out with tongs, I replaced the grate.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
I use mine all the time on The Granite Performer

Soft touch with a wooden scraper. Usually scrape cold, and then again after the coals are going. And then again after I’m done (still hot).

I realized this probably doesn’t help. Forget I said anything.

[emoji16]
Dude, relax your chicken.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
The performer grate insert is great for certain things like cooking with a vortex or with one of their add on assessories.  I dislike it for everything else and prefer the flip up sides on a grate.  I generally switch them out depending on what I am cooking.

I know it's not a mind blowing recommendation, but grab and aftermarket SS grate or webers flip up side grate when it's on sale or clearance.

I

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
Grab a pair of these
https://thd.co/339mDYK
Drop on on top of your regular grate and cook away.

One fits between the flip ups.
They also have a larger ver. for the E-300 which also fits
and is $10 more

https://thd.co/2GxOurK

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:47:30 PM »
Get a regular grate or flip grate. You will be much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
I have an Adrenaline bbq stainless steel grate with the one big flip up. Indirect, direct, smoke and vortex with it all the time. My Gbs grate is going out with my trash tomorrow night for the scrappers. The center pops out at the worst times(usually when smoking hot), falls out when grate is hung on the side of the performer and has the worst plating of any grate that I own. If I want to use the searing grate I will just lay in on top of the SS grate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Don-in-Vero

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:28:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I was beginning to think the problem was just an old fart who couldn't adapt. The flipup grate has served me well for 30 years, so I think I'll go back to it. Just happen to have one or two in the garage.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »
I have the same cooking grate.   It's great for the things that it's great at  ...  WoK, Vortex, etc.   If you have the stamina, then you'll soon master it where it works best.  In my BBQ Kitchen I have several cooking grates.  Each is used for the type of cook that suites it best.  Mostly SS, but an oldie once it a while.  Over time your "BBQ Accessories" may rival your partners collection of shoes :O

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 05:43:35 AM »
I find that if I use the metal u shaped scraper on the end of the weber brush it stays put.  So I clean along the grates with the metal scraper and then side to side (perpendicular) with the wire brush. Doesn't tend to move with that method and stays fairly clean.

I think I will ultimately replace the grate because I am kind of fanatical about keeping my grates clean and the recessed spaces around the circle are almost impossible to get clean.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B