Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled pork this weekend on the Redhead  (Read 831 times)

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
Pulled pork this weekend on the Redhead
« on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:47 AM »
Did some pulled pork Saturday on the Redhead, 8 1/2 lb butt rubbed down with meat church deez nuts, cooked for 10 hrs at 225-235F, I wrapped it at 160, removed it at 195, let it rest for 30 minutes before pulling and holy cow was it good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:39:56 AM by Izzygrillz »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pulled pork this weekend on the Redhead
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:20:10 AM »
Well that looks awesome
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

vichogg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
Hi can anyone tell me what I did wrong. Small pork but slow cooked for 6 hours wrapped it at 160, then cooked on to 205.  The meat was delicious and had a good smoke ring but would not pull. Had to slice instead. Cooked on 57" weber kettle with briquettes and a lump cherry wood block. Total cooked time and rest about 7 1/2 hours with temp at 250f throughout. Thanks..

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »
Izzy, it looks great. Love that old Coleman cooler in the background too

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
Pulled pork this weekend on the Redhead
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:35:08 AM »
@HoosierKettle that was a $3 garage sale find, it’s my resting cooler [emoji16], @vichogg that all sounds right on, im not sure what happened, maybe someone with a bit more experience will chime in, I know there’s a few guys on here into competition cooking that could probably be able to explain it better

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:48:48 AM »
@vichogg did you by chance remove the fat cap?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

vichogg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 06:10:04 AM »
Hiya mate no left fat cap on cooked it in a silver tray with fat cap down.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 05:31:38 AM »
Hiya mate no left fat cap on cooked it in a silver tray with fat cap down.

I do mine fat cap up on-top. That allows all fat soak into the pork shoulder. I did the last on 195 degrees 16 hours it was 20lbs of pork. Removed at 205 degrees and wrapped in tinfoil. Wrapped in towel and put into coolers let rest for a few hours. This is when you can sleep lol. This is the last pork shoulder I did...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/fathers-day-weekend-cook/msg421181/#msg421181
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 06:42:10 AM »
Hi can anyone tell me what I did wrong. Small pork but slow cooked for 6 hours wrapped it at 160, then cooked on to 205.  The meat was delicious and had a good smoke ring but would not pull. Had to slice instead. Cooked on 57" weber kettle with briquettes and a lump cherry wood block. Total cooked time and rest about 7 1/2 hours with temp at 250f throughout. Thanks..
Not for sure what happened but here is what I do.  I usually cook until 180 degrees trying to get past the "stall" or so before wrapping.  As part of the wrapping process I'll add some Eastern NC vinegar based BBQ sauce.   I then go for 200-205 degrees for the temp before taking the wrapped  meat off the grill.  I don't worry too much about cooking temp trying to keep it between 250-300 even 325 at times.  Time is kind of irrelevant because I cook to internal meat temp of 200-205.  Once the meat is at 200-205 it's taken off and wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler (warmer?) for a couple of hours.  Time in cooler kind of depends when we want to serve it. It's still quite warm when taken out.  I think this helps the meat to pull easier.   As mentioned above in a previous post I leave the fat cap on facing up while cooking.

Even though I said time can be irrelevant this entire process can take 7-9 hours for an 8-9 lb pork butt.  Practice makes perfect.